Wheel upgrades?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Steel Rain
PVT
PVT

Wheel upgrades?

Post by Steel Rain »

Hey everyone, a newbie here! I am hopefully going to be the proud owner of a 1951 M37 within the next week. Making a trip down to Georgia to pick up a non running M37 for a project. I have a couple of questions, but the search function didn't provide me any help. Does anyone know the bolt pattern and backspacing of the M37 16" wheels? I plan on upgrading these to a larger diameter lighter aluminum wheel with mud tires and need the specs to start searching for the wheels I want. If anyone has done this, I'd love to see pics. BTW, this will be my first military vehicle restoration, but will be a "restomod" type restore. I plan to upgrade many of the components and "originality" isn't my goal. I'll post pics and progress as I work on it! Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments!
Art
Steel Rain
PVT
PVT

Post by Steel Rain »

I'm guessing most of you guys stick with the stock military spec steel wheels. I found a few different one's I like. What do you think? Anyone know the bolt pattern at least? I can worry about the backspacing and adjust with spacers if needed.
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

That is an awesome wheel and tire!!

I've seen lots of tire combos but mostly on stock rims. Some have used modified Gamma Goat wheels which also look good and allow further choices on tires.

By the way I see you just joined the forum welcome glad you are here.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Steel Rain
PVT
PVT

Post by Steel Rain »

Thanks! I've considered this build for the last 10 years, but recently divorced, now I can do ANY project I want without permission or regard to budget constraints!! I will find a suitable mule, just started the search! Thanks for the input! I figure I will do things a little differently than many, but you should all appreciate the results! I'm planning on a Blacked out Beauty in a "SWAT" appearance!
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Now that sounds like a cooool build. Can't wait to follow along.
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
Steel Rain
PVT
PVT

Post by Steel Rain »

Thanks! I am hopefully going to be hauling a mule home from Georgia this next week. I found a decent example on ebay for about a grand, motor turns according to the gentleman and hopefully I can start dismantling as soon as I'm home with it next week. I don't plan on driving it any time soon, I understand the brakes are marginal at best and needs a thorough going thru to assess the items needed! I plan on making a box van back for the bed however, and troop seats inside with weapons rack on one side. Maybe even a nice LCD TV! Don't worry, It'll be a class act, I don't throw crap together! I will sketch up the plans over the next day or so and post up what I envision, then u guys can comment when I forget a detail or change my design 500 times throughout!
Art
bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

Post by bubba_got_you »

i run modafied LAV rims on my truck
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
Steel Rain
PVT
PVT

Post by Steel Rain »

Bubba, forgive my ignorance! What's an LAV, do you have pics or dimensions? I'm trying to procure some wheels while the "holiday" specials are in full effect!
Art
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

Post by Captnsim »

LAV...Light Armored Vehicle

Mourn the fallen.
Praise the brave.
Kill the enemy.
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

Don't hold me to this But I beleive the bolt pattern is 5 on 6&7/8" But It Doesn't really matter, because none of the wheels you've looked at in catalogs or magazines are going to fit. Its an extremely odd size. I think there are 1 or 2 companies that make onepiece replacements, but they are pretty much just plain steel wheels. If you are keeping the stock axles you are stuck with the stock 2 piece wheels, or having custom wheels made I.E. recentered humvee wheels. The other option is finding an older combat style wheel from a WC series truck. these are a 2 piece rim that bolt together.

Good luck sounds like an interesting build
Brett
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Yes if you keep the stock axles then you will have to have custom wheels made to fit. If you change to a more modern axle like Dana 60s off a modern truck you will have a lot more wheel choices, but will have to modify things to bolt the axles up...it's not a hard swap, but not dierect replacement either.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Steel Rain
PVT
PVT

Post by Steel Rain »

Okay, but there is more than one way to skin a cat! Enter Billet Aluminum custom wheel adapters! Had a set made to make a typical japanese bolt pattern wheel fit my very unique bolt patterned Esprit! $200 for the spacers and $1100 for 4 18" wheels and tires! Otherwise I'd have spent about $4K for the wheels without the tires! I saw a vintage group site that made steel adapters to adapt other steel wheels to it, so the billet spacers will be my solution! Now, what's the biggest diameter overall that the M37 fenders will allow?
bubba_got_you
SGT
SGT

Post by bubba_got_you »

If your good with welding I have lav rims and I know a guy you can buy centers from and you can weld them in. it defiantly wont cost as much as custom rims. or you can buy my rims and ill make more lol :lol:
May God grant me with the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, The ability to shoot the things I can and a place to hide the bodies
Steel Rain
PVT
PVT

Post by Steel Rain »

Bubba, many thanks for the offer! :) In my plan, the custom truck wheels are a must! I'll work around the details! I'm not worried about the additional cost for them, in my opinion, wheels make my cars, and bikes!
Here is my recently sold 2001 GMC Yukon with custom 20" black wheels
Here is my 1993 Mazda RX7
My 89 Esprit and my chopper
Love custom wheels! They make a vehicle to me!!! Don't plan on stopping now!!!
Art
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

My Wheel/Tyre

Post by m-37Bruce »

[URL=http://news.webshots.com/photo/107 ... .jpg[/img]
First pic almost 7 years ago.

Second pic last October.

Image[/url]
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow