Convoy light (or something similar)?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

mikkelborg
PVT
PVT

Convoy light (or something similar)?

Post by mikkelborg »

Hello, I've been hanging around and managing to keep a low profile for a few months now, so I'll come out of the shadows...

I have seen pictures of several really good looking trucks fitted with convoy lights, or something similar. I'm curious if M37's were ever equipped with these by the army, and how they were set up.

I got my truck last summer and I have been having a ball cruising it around, I am however worried about situations where visibility is less than ideal or where I can't maintain the posted speed limit. I know there are tail light upgrades available, but I want to do something more noticeable that can also be removed easily to keep the truck bone stock and indulge my affinity for auxiliary lighting at the same time. While I could rig up any ordinary revolving amber light, I like idea of keeping it 'military'. Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Collin
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Hi Collin,
Welcome aboard! great bunch of friendly and knowledgeable guys here.
The Gamma Goats used a tail light that was the same shape as the M37, but was a full red lense. Much better visibility. The bolt pattern is the same, so it is a direct replacement. If you go somewhere that you want to be original its a quick swap back. They pop up on Ebay frequently, usually in the $40 range.
Tim
tmbrwolf
PFC
PFC

Post by tmbrwolf »

convoy lights were added under the commanders authority, there were general guide lines but no written standard (at least for the army) each unit installed them with whatever materials they had on hand. Most wreckers that I operated we installed two rotators at the back of the cab, most of the other lead / trail convoy vehicles got only one.
Ken
SFC USA (ret)
51 M37
52 M38
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

Post by Captnsim »

Welcome to the site! :D
Mount the beacon on a pole and attach it to a antenna mount?
Maybe a modded ab15 on a triangular mount, so the light is easy to take off.
Mourn the fallen.
Praise the brave.
Kill the enemy.
mikkelborg
PVT
PVT

Post by mikkelborg »

I'm glad to be here. Thank you for the fast responses. I like the idea of putting it where the antenna mount would go. Right now I am in daydreaming mode, I'm not so sure that I will be able to get a light right away so I'll look into those gamma goat lenses again too. I'm keeping my truck 24volt for the forseeable future, the electrical system is in remarkably good condition, everything works and no brittle insulation, so I'm going to just leave it alone and isolate the batteries when it's laid up as a safegaurd. So, naturally, I would like to put a 24 volt light on it, the origional military issue light would be ideal, but I'm not sure who to talk to about them. Are they still available somewhere? Good used is fine with me. And also, since I am operating on a budget, are there modern equivalents readily available in 24volt that have the right look but cost significanty less? I've been searching around and I haven't really turned up much of anything.

I'm hoping that this won't get too spendy to set up, I was drooling over the idea of having a spotlight mounted on one of those nice new reproduction pedistal mounts that are being made in another thread on here. The price of the mount and the spotlight itself would probably bankrupt me, and I still need to find a door-mount spare tire carrier (my truck's a B-1) and I know that is going to cost me a pretty penny too. There was an M43 in a local junkyard last year and it had one, if I had only known at the time... ah well, maybe a parts truck with one will come up in my neck of the woods, I could use a few other bits too. But that's something to save for another thread.

Edit: This is the truck, that hardtop is coming off as soon is I have something else to put on there...

Collin
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Welcome to the fold. It looks like you have a nice rig to start with. I installed the Humvee style tail lamps on my truck for safety reasons.

http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... temId=5067

They have a nice illumination. I had to make a small spacer plate for the mounting bolts but simple to install.
Not stock of course for the purist, but I wouldn't jump out of a C47 with a 65 year old parachute and sacrifice safety for authenticity :lol:
The Gamma lamps mentioned are going to be a closer match if you wish to use the stock lamp housing. :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Welcome to the forum Collin, good to have you here. Nice looking B1
To answer you about convoy lights and ways to improve your trucks visiblity I will show a couple of pix of what I did to improve the night time, bad weather visiblity and when plowing snow. I installed Gamma Goat tail light lenses, military 24V. turn signals (truck is a 53 and had none) and a convoy light wired thru a circuit breaker and a separate switch not directly connected to the ign. system. The convoy light mount was made from steel scrap I had on hand and bolted to the cargo box's left side where holes for a antenna mount already were drilled so as not to be adding any extra ones. Although not a GI mount it would possibly ? be something a maintenance unit might build if no other was available for use. So while not an issue mount it works for me and sort of :roll: looks GI.
Click on the thumbnail for a larger view.

Restoration pix:
http://news.webshots.com/album/247061965WWtrqv
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome Collin! Glad to have you with us! Carter's photo is important, in that the amber light is ABOVE the back of the top which allows for a 360 degree sweep so one can be seen from any direction.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

Post by Captnsim »

New 24 volt beacons are readily available for around $80.
Mourn the fallen.
Praise the brave.
Kill the enemy.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Saturn Surplus of Millersburg, Pa. has convoy lights on post mounts: 28V Vehicle Warning Light on Post $49.50 and just the lights only: 28V Vehicle Warning Light $39.50

http://www.saturnsurplus.com/lights/lights.htm
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

That water bucket makes a nice cover for your beacon, Carter. ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Be sure to check your state's rules on vehicle lighting and beacon use.

Also since you seemed to be primarily concerned with the rear visibility how about the Canadian axle illumination convoy lamp? Very inconspicuous yet effective.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Let me add this to your list of things to think on.

Strobe lights, in 24-volt are more effective, especially in daylight hours, use much less power than a rotating beacon, so battery drain is far less. They last longer, and have no moving parts to cause problems. We have used them for years, all customers satisfied. They are available from NAPA and other auto parts retailers, in the truck lighting catalog, any number of styles available. We usually stick with the styles that most resemble the convoy lights you spoke about. There are some strobes coming up occaisionally on military surplus, we have used those also, and they usually come with a metal bar type brush guard that is really good. Other places of purchase are AW direct, they offer a huge selection, Northern Tool also has a decent selection in several styles.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Federal

Post by m-37Bruce »

A couple of years ago I looked at these at my local supplier, they look like they went up a bit since then?
http://www.ilfireandpoliceequip.com/sto ... tail&p=524

http://www.ilfireandpoliceequip.com/sto ... tail&p=569
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
mikkelborg
PVT
PVT

Post by mikkelborg »

Hmm, you guys are giving me a lot to think about. I've actually been trying to talk to the state patrol about the legal side of it, unfortunately the local state patrol office has had some layoffs or something and is never open. I'm in Washington State, I've read the RCW's and they don't really lay out any regulations for yellow beacon use. Right now I'm in Pullman attending school (I normally live on the west side) and there are plenty of private vehicles with strobes, but I think they are mostly used for agricultural stuff.

I'm not sure what to think of strobes, personally I prefer revolving lights, mostly for the same reason I prefer old school generators and mechanical regulators, although power usage is something to consider, I'm going to need to figure out what my amperage draw will be with all my lighting and any other equipment that I might add to the truck in the future. For some reason I'm rather fond of that big huge generator and I'd hate to have to replace it.

The Canadian axle illumination lamp sounds kind of interesting. I'm also thinking of making an aluminum sign that will clamp on to the tailgate painted reflective yellow with black lettering saying 'CAUTION MAX SPEED 45' or something to that effect to keep myself from being run over when higher speed roads are my only option. Obviously it's too big to paint on the differential and illuminate, but maybe I'll think of something.

When I get home I need to drop the oil pan to check for sludge, pull the head to check my #1 exhaust valve, inspect all of my u-joints and flanges, figure out where the play is in my steering and get some new rubber on the truck before I worry about spending money on the convoy light. Hopefully all will go well and I'll have a few bucks left over.

I'm going to go pick up a spare engine this weekend and I might have a line on a set of combat rims, can anybody tell that I have M fever?

Collin