55%
don't know
No votes

Total votes: 31

refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

I have a small notebook that I keep track of all the parts (new or pre tested) that I buy for the truck. Not so much to add it all up but to help me remember where I get things and how much I paid. In the same notebook I write down things I think of that I need to buy and cross them off when I get them.

It's mostly organisation, less accounting. I probably have $4000 in the truck now, including it's purchase. But I have a running engine so that takes probably $2000 off of that.

I voted yes since I keep track.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I voted no.... Don't add it up it will only make you depressed. Just enjoy the fruits of your labor. You have a great looking truck and it will be a source of great enjoyment. Besides...what would you have spent the money on otherwise.... Booze, broads, and guns.... (Ok guns would have been cool) but the others would have just gotten you into trouble... :)
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

I've told you guys before how much I have into mine.
My YL thinks it's worth every penny to get me out of her hair!
You should see the newspapers she puts out for me to walk on and sit in.
Total up the amount, then divide by four for the YL.
We don't do this to make money ( most of us),
but it's nice to be able to say " you know how much is into this POS?"
J.B. (tounge inserted firmly into cheek) :lol:
P.S I'm all happy this morning as I've worked out my (hopefully)
last bug of the Jeep fuel injection project.
monkeybone
PVT
PVT

Post by monkeybone »

josh... don't be so sure....... :)anything is possible[img][img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/ ... arrin3.jpg[/img]
success comes in cans not can'ts
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

yeah, unfortunately, that is the kind of extreme modification Im not a big fan of... I like your black truck, I think its a perfect mix, but that beast is just a bit too monstertruckish for my taste.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I vote yes, for a reality (sanity) check. I have all my receipts and have kept a running log of the expenditures and the work since I bought mine in 2004 and I know I am easily $10,000 into mine just for the parts, even with the many bargains I found (cab, bed, radiator, tires, etc.). If you consider another resto, be wary of the facts that Charles took the time to share-nothing is cheap anymore, and it all costs a bunch.

When I get tempted to get into another project, I remind myself that this one may never be finished so I keep plugging away on it instead of taking on another one.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
greencom
SGT
SGT

Post by greencom »

The real depressing part of all this is that the parts keep getting more expensive and the selling prices for a good M37 keep going down! They are in the crapper and it's going to get worse.
Greencom
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

And the un-depressing thing about all of this is for things to get better they must first be worse! :wink:
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

I voted yes. I like to keep a detailed accounting of my total expenditure for parts but just a running tally of total hours for labor. I feel my labor is more of a therapy session (either good or bad). My wife would rather see me in the pole barn working on the truck than out drinking beer and chasing around with the guys.
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

Well, I voted NO.

After having spent years restoring a Hotchkiss M201 Jeep and plowing tons of ££ into it I decided its best not to know.

The way I see it, as long as you have the money to spare to put into your hobby, then what difference does it make?

If I played golf I would spend a fortune on equipment and course fees etc, If I went to the pub every other night I would spend a fortune and have nothing to show for it.

My M37 cost me $15k and then I had to ship it to Scotland!
If I didnt have the funds available then I would have bought something else.
As it happens, my truck has been great so far and I am still spending more on power steering etc.

remember, you cant take ££$$ with you when you die....................

Cheers

Stu
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

I voted no...........I would cry and I still cry today. I have been working on my M37 since 1995. I have bought ALOT of parts over the years. Back when stuff was cheap!!! Now I still look for parts on occasion and I sure do know what stuff is worth!! Now today when I go to work on my truck, I cringe when I bolt it on as I know what I DID pay for it and I know what its WORTH now. Guess I will be one of the few lucky ones as I will have put a small amount of $$$ in a truck that is worth ALOT in parts since my truck has been put together with alot of NOS ones and I left the lables on it to prove it!
rc51racer
PFC
PFC

The cost of doing it right...

Post by rc51racer »

I recently rebuilt my transfer case:

http://blog.gieselman.com/post/NP200-Tr ... build.aspx

and here is about what I spent:

$255 rebuild kit
$200 stainless steel shift shaft
$100 thrust washer
$150 NOS input shaft
$150 NOS two speed clutch gear
$240 NOS shift fork x 2
$50 Glyptol paint
$20 Shim pack
$120 Redi sleeves x 4

So what did I get for $1285?

A transfer case that won't leak and the satisfaction of doing it right.

Charles is absolutely correct, you can do it right or do it half assed.

My guess for the cost of a total rebuild to like new condition doing the work yourself is gonna be in the 25K plus range.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Mmmm, seems the "no's" are in the lead. We'll see what happens.

Disclaimer:
My reference to David Ahl's article was tongue and cheek, given the love we have for his book here. I understand he basically did a "powerwash, sand, and paint" resto and I am in no way comparing it to my nor any frame up endeavor. He did not even pull his bed off from what it looks like? I doubt he replaced leaf spring bushings, speedi-sleeved yokes, zero-timed his engine (thats a complete overhaul for you non-aviation folks :) ), magna-fluxed parts while doing that, replaced all grease zerks re-wire, ect....
I simply liked how he humorously totals up the time spent and refers to "creative acounting"on his webpage.

I have my rig as it sits now insured for $20K. My purpose for totalling up the parts costs would be to make sure I have adequate insurance in case of loss.
The first time I drove it this summer made it worth a million in my heart :D
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That's the REAL bottom line-are you ENJOYING your project? We've all laughed, cursed, and cried at some point during our project time-so much to do, where to begin, will it ever be done? The answer is a resounding "YES" as long as we remain interested and don't give up.

I, too, will be on the road soon (two years later than I predicted) but yes, it is absolutely worth all the blood sweat and tears, especially when the grizzled old veteran of WWII or Korea or Nam stops, gives you the respectful look with a twinkle in his or her eye and says "thanks for remembering"....

To me and I know also to many or all of you, their heartfelt thanks makes it all worth it.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

You hit it right on the head Gary, especially the Veteran part 8)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".