HUMMMM???

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Chunk
CPL
CPL

Post by Chunk »

k8icu wrote:Chunk, twice you've said it wont work, but you haven't posted as to why you believe it wont work. How about telling us why instead of it just wont.

Personnally I think if it was printed in the manual or a PS mag then the army tested it and knows it does work. So yeah I think it will work.

Bill L pretty much lays it out. Its going to pull on both the front and back. I don't see how it could only pull on the back of the truck.
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

OK Lets say that there is twice the pull force on the rear as on the front and figure its all on the same line. you would be pulled to the rear.
Keep in mind that it is not two seperate lines, it's one line pulling twice as hard from the rear. I think it will work ( on your truck not mine!).
J.B.
Chunk
CPL
CPL

Post by Chunk »

ARRRRRRRR! :evil: This is like ribics cube! :D
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

OK, lets put a little math to it. Here are the starting assumptions (numbers used are for easy math):
20' - Truck Length
20' - Distance to front snatch block
20' - Distance to rear snatch block
40' - Distance from center of truck to side snatch block

In this condition there is 180' of winch line deployed
20' - Front
100' - Side
60' - Rear

Now lets look at the amount of winch line deployed if the truck is fully againt the rear snatch block
40' - Front
100' - Side
0' - Rear
140' - Total!

So for every foot of rearward movement, it takes 2' of winch length.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

Yes exactly
when using double tackle for every foot going backwards ( or any direction) you use 2' of cable so basicly one foot goes into the winch(ing) and the other foot matches the backward movement.
Not as well put as W.A. stated but I think you'll get the point
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

:? I thought I just said that...

Chunk, you need to think of it as a moving winch operation... just because the winch only winds one way dosen't mean that the direction of the "final pull" has to corrospond to a the usual single line or block practice. The pulleys can change that. It's definately "outside of the box" but true.
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

Last edited by Murf on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Like I said, do you think the Army would have published a procedure in a manual just to have soldiers waisting time or to damage the truck? With out the math and all that if you just think about it it has to work or they wouldn't have put it in for the dippy private to mess with! Too much time and money invested in both truck, man and mission to be mucking around.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

Post by Captnsim »

Text book example.
It's amazing how progress has all but wiped away knowledge of tried and true methods of doing things.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

It's basic high school physics. We learned about pulley systems clear back in 6th grade science class, actually. I think the problem is that (a) mechanical systems have taken a back seat to electronic systems in science education these days a d (b) far fewer kids are signing up for chemistry and physics these days. They don't know squat about science, but they sure can build a web site!
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
M-Thrax
SGT
SGT

Post by M-Thrax »

"I thought I just said that... "

Murf
You did say it and I understood it but there are still folks here who don't understand it...yet, so I guess we're just trying to re-explain it in different format. It took me a couple of days after seeing it to finally understand how it works...Hell I almost had a aneurysm :lol:
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

M-Thrax wrote:"I thought I just said that... "

Murf
You did say it and I understood it but there are still folks here who don't understand it...yet, so I guess we're just trying to re-explain it in different format. It took me a couple of days after seeing it to finally understand how it works...Hell I almost had a aneurysm :lol:
Oh I know, my statement was for them, I was being a wise-guy :twisted:
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

it would work.

the mechanical advantage of the reduction in the back would out-pull the single line in the front. I would think it would be very hard on the truck though.
Captnsim
SGT
SGT

Post by Captnsim »

No, it would not be hard on the truck.
It's not a matter of out pulling...
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Makes Me

Post by m-37Bruce »

Glad I don't have a winch! :lol: