Well,I dumped both boat anchors (gen and reg)....

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Chunk
CPL
CPL

Well,I dumped both boat anchors (gen and reg)....

Post by Chunk »

I installed a24 volt alternator,and everything seems to work perfectly. Its a delco-remy 24 volt 10si single wire,self exciting alternator. I only had to cut one wire to install it,so it can go back to original very easily. Very nice! All I had to do,was build a mount.
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

24v alternator

Post by 8543bob »

HOW ABOUT A PIC OF THE INSTALL, I WAS THINKING OF DOING THE SAME. BOB
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

I'll second that

Post by monkeymissile »

some pics would be great if you can manage since this is an item on my wish-list as well. Thanks in advance.
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
Chunk
CPL
CPL

Post by Chunk »

I'll see what I can do. :D
rc51racer
PFC
PFC

Pics...

Post by rc51racer »

Where did you source the alternator?

Which wire did you get?

Details would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Chunk
CPL
CPL

Post by Chunk »

The alternator was easy.... ebay. Brand new and about $115 shipped. I don't quite understand your "what wire did you get?" question.... Please elaborate. There is even wider width pulleys available on ebay that are built for the 10si alternators. I didn't buy one of the pulleys,because the stock generator pulley has the same diameter bore. All I did is shorten it up on the lathe,and it worked fine. It blew my mind that the generator has the same size shaft as the new alternator. There are higher amperage rating 24 volt alternators available,but its overkill,and they're more expensive. 50 amps is plenty,and twice that of the stock generator. If you do this conversion,don't be a cheap moochbag with the single charging wire. They say use a 10 gauge minimum,but I went with a 6 gauge cable,because I don't screw around. Also....don't just install a new alternator,get in there and clean EVERY ground,on the frame,bell housing,etc. Also clean your battery cables,terminals,and check your electrolyte level in the batteries. The reason I mention all this is because I know alot of people that will put in a new alternator thinking its going to be better,or fix an existing problem,only to get lazy and not clean 50 plus year old electrical grounds/connections. This alternator works FLAWLESSLY!!!
Last edited by Chunk on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
rc51racer
PFC
PFC

Sorry, I meant which wire did you cut?

Post by rc51racer »

Sorry I didn't proof read my response, I meant to ask which wire did you cut?

I also see some 60 AMP alternator conversion kits on ebay, are these of any use in the conversion?
jbxx
SGT
SGT

Post by jbxx »

If you are going to do an alternator read these first.
I was going to go with a one wire and didn't because of these articles.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... sing.shtml

and

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical ... wire.shtml

I'm sure a one wire is a great improvement over the POS original stuff.
But imnsho three wire is better.
J.B. ( electrical engineer )
Chunk
CPL
CPL

Post by Chunk »

Wow,...good articles. But... I'm going to stick with my one wire 10si delco alternator. So far its working GREAT. Way better than the original generator and mechanical regulator. I personally like the one wire,internally regulated alternator.I guess I could have gone with the three wire,but no thanks. The one wire alternators have been used by the hot rod crowd for many years without any problems. The cost of a nos military electronic voltage regulator is more than the replacement cost of the 10 si I just installed,so it was well worth the change over. I'm very happy with it. I also think that if these 10si alternators were not very good,or didn't work very good,delco wouldn't be producing them. In other words,why manufature something that doesn't work when word gets around fast. Makes no sense.
Chunk
CPL
CPL

Post by Chunk »

I'll try getting some photos up this weekend for you folks. Its a very easy conversion that is completely reversable back to stock configuration. Joe