MAIDEN VOYAGE

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

MAIDEN VOYAGE

Post by HingsingM37 »

Yesterday was the day. I went to the license bureau at lunch time to get a temporary tag for the M. Luckily I got a guy who was into antique cars and made the transaction painless. He asked what color the truck was? I said mostly green with several shades of primer :lol: . I called my insurance agent to put some coverage on the truck, remarkably this was a smooth & painless transaction as well :)
When I got home zip tied the tag to the back of the cab. I did a walk around the truck to make sure all was in order. I started her up to let it warm up a bit. Having no windshield installed yet I grabbed my best pair of safety glasses as goggles and climbed in. There is an alotment behind me that would serve as my proving ground. As I got to the end of the drive I felt like a little kid with a new go cart making a debut. I made a left and hit the pavement. It is about a 1/4 mile to the alotment and I was amazed how nice it drove on the asphalt. As far as driveabilty I did not know what to expect? Something between a 57 Bluebird Bus and a halftrack? It drove straight and tracked well. Very little steering correction necessary. I was glad I rebuilt the front end at this point. I slowed down to make the left into the sidestreet. Using the standard hand signal I made my turn. There it was...straightaway! After five years it was time :D I hit the gas, blew through 2nd, 3rd, and into 4th getting me up to about 40 then I had to back it down for a curve. Another short straightaway, got up to 35, time to test the brakes, other than my pedal pumping necessary which I have not figured out yet, it stopped well and fast. Better than I expected given some of the talk about the poor brakes on our trucks :? So far no unusual noises, I got her back up to speed, ahhh, whats that knocking? Oh, relief, just the xfer case lever ratting against the trans cover. I do not have my boot installed yet. I continued around the alotment about five times. I would guess about 4 miles worth of driving in all. All seems in order. The only malfunction is my ability to downshift this beast. That will improve with time. With approaching rain I headed back to base. Pulled it in the garage and checked for leaks. All OK. Slight seepage from my xfer case yoke which I will address. I bolted my grills on for Sundays car show. Weather permitting I will drive it there. About 6 miles. I'll keep you posted. Can't wait :D
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Maiden voyage

Post by Nickathome »

David;

Glad to hear you got the truck on the road. Its a strange feeling, I know. I remember feeling as though I was doing something illegal the first time I took my truck onto the main road. You will get used to it. After a short while it'll be just like driving any other vehicle in that you won't give a second thought to rolling onto a street with other vehicles on it.

You will hear and feel all kinds of strange noises rattles whistles whines, smells, etc. These trucks are not whisper quiet and keep us on our toes at all times.

I still have trouble downshifting into second. Just gotta remember to depress clutch, move into neutral, let it out, depress again, rev up some and slowly drop into gear. Revving on a downshift seems unnatural but its the way you do it. I still haven't mastered it and and practice the old "grindem till you findem" sometimes.
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Congrats David! I hope to have much the same good luck in about two months when I get mine back together!!
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Way to go David. It's a great feeling to finally get rolling!! :D
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Not bad for a buck-eye!! Congrats and enjoy - just in time for some nice weather.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Another one back on the road legally and what fun you will have now. Congrats.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

Congrats. There is nothing that compares to the first drive. I know that after hours and hours of work I was PROUD. Since I have taken mine apart and mostly re-assembled it. A few weeks ago I took it for a drive in the neighborhood and it was great. But I cannot wait till I have the time to finnish the fenders and hood. Then it will be complete. You should post pics.
KenInGA
CPL
CPL

Post by KenInGA »

Congrats! I just took mine out on our street after about 6-7 months of hibernation (and for the first time since major valve adjustment) and it felt great. We also completely rebuilt the brake system. Still had pedal after sitting for that long. This thing stops real good, now!

Make sure your brakes are bled and properly adjusted. Then you shouldn't have to pump them.
'62 M37B1- It runs AND stops!
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Congrats..... Have you gotten the grin to subside from your face yet? I think that when we breath new life into these old vets and take them for that first drive we all look like Bob from that enhancement comercial.... :)

Glad to hear it's comming along.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Thanks guys. It did feel fantastic. Thanks to everbody here for the help and support.
Weather is supposed to be nice this weekend. I am going to get my official title Saturday. Sunday is the car show. I can't wait to tell the tale of L245-1042 to folks.
Matt, Pics are in my "David Cial" album. I still have not figured out how to post right here.

Ken, I checked the shoe clearance 2 times. I have bled nearly 2 quarts through it? Last night I noticed there is a clunking noise in the front left when I hit the pedal that sounds like excessive shoe travel? I will re-check. I got to be missing something or I got a bum new MC?

Knattras, Ocasionally a Buckeye gets it right :lol:

Joe, Yep, Just like Bob... :lol:

Nick, Yea, I will have to practice the downshifts...good thing I have a spare trans LOL. I got spoiled on all those Jap sports cars through the years :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

David, usually there are only 2 issues that make brake pedal pumping necessary. #1 the shoe to drum clearance not adjusted correctly with possibly out of round drums. #2 the residual check valve inside the master cylinder is not functioning correctly letting all fluid return back to the reservoir when brakes are released. An otherwise faulty master cylinder could be at fault, but I'm assuming you have likely addressed that. I'd get to the bottom of this promptly, not worth the risk of hitting that pedal & it dropping freely to the floor.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Charles,
I have external residual check valves installed, one for front and rear. It is odd, initally the pedal goes to the floor, after I release it then I have a 3/4 firm pedal. No pulsation or anything like that. I do not have to pump it multiple times . It is always the same making me think it is a pressure issue? I will look into the shoe/drums again tonight. I will let you know what I find. Thanks. :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Cut & Paste

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hey David, Have you tried cut & paste, you should at least be able to paste the gallery link in any post? You might have to have two (2) windows open?

http://www.g741.org/photogallery/main.p ... temId=1057

I think this will work?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

HingsingM37 wrote:Charles,
I have external residual check valves installed, one for front and rear. It is odd, initally the pedal goes to the floor, after I release it then I have a 3/4 firm pedal. No pulsation or anything like that. I do not have to pump it multiple times . It is always the same making me think it is a pressure issue? I will look into the shoe/drums again tonight. I will let you know what I find. Thanks. :)
Are your check valves adjustable? If so are they adjusted correctly? Are you using an original type M/C or a dual line? The original type M/C has a check valve in it. You should have a better than 3/4 pedal on the first push if shoe clearances are correct. I think what is happening is this, it takes a volume of fluid to fill lines, check valves, etc. Thats why you build no pressure on the first push, you are simply filling the system so on the next push it builds pressure. You have a definite issue in play. Could be risky as a bad M/C will have the same symptoms in many cases. You don't want that going on thinking it's only a minor issue, can be deceiving.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Dave, I'm assuming you change the MC and put a new one on in your rebuild. Did you bleed the MC prior to installing it? MC have to be benched bled prior to them working in the system. I had the MC on my 151 do that when I changed it and didn't bleed it. I pulled it back out bled it, put it back in and I got good peddle firts time every time. You should defenatly NOT be going to the floor or alomst to the floor on your first push of the peddle. You should get a solid hard peddle every time.

Check the clearence of the shoes and make sure they are operating properly. Are you sure you installed all the parts properly in the right place? I have done that myself on occasion where I put a spring in the wrong spot and it causes all sorts of problems.

Don't worry it's all part of the fun. You put all back together then you find all the little things you didn't right.... :)
M37s are HMMWV in my world!