Trailer lights?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Trailer lights?

Post by Wayne64 »

I realize that if I hook up a military trailer I have lights. My question is how does one tow a trailer that has 12v lighting? I'm no electronics expert but using a military trailer plug and something to step the voltage down to 12v and then to a typical flat 4 connector I could tow either. Maybe bringing a single 12v wire back to three relays? Any thoughts on this folks? I like to have all bases covered.
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Switch the trailer bulbs to 24v and solder pins onto an extra flat 4 connector and then make your truck side connection with the flat 4. You can pick up an extra flat 4 at most auto parts. Just look up the M37 wiring diagram and you'll see which pins you need to connect to.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Another option, if you plan to use the trailer with different vehicles, would be to retain the existing 12-volt wiring for use with 12-volt vehicles and install a second set of lights with the appropriate wiring/connectors/bulbs for use with your 24-volt military vehicle. It's not difficult to do at all! :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Lifer wrote:Another option, if you plan to use the trailer with different vehicles, would be to retain the existing 12-volt wiring for use with 12-volt vehicles and install a second set of lights with the appropriate wiring/connectors/bulbs for use with your 24-volt military vehicle. It's not difficult to do at all! :)
That may be the way I have to go as the trailer is pulled by my Ranchero on a regular basis. Anyone know where I can find male plugs for the trucks socket?
tmbrwolf
PFC
PFC

Post by tmbrwolf »

I tow my M101 with both my mil trucks ( M37 & M880) and my Ford expo, I used military LED taillights and they work great on both 24V and 12V! that way there is only one set of lights and one pigtail to worry about. I fabbed up an extra mil socket to connect into the expo I don't see any reason it couldn't be made to work the other way.
Ken
SFC USA (ret)
51 M37
52 M38
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

tmbrwolf wrote:I tow my M101 with both my mil trucks ( M37 & M880) and my Ford expo, I used military LED taillights and they work great on both 24V and 12V! that way there is only one set of lights and one pigtail to worry about. I fabbed up an extra mil socket to connect into the expo I don't see any reason it couldn't be made to work the other way.
Funny thing is that my boat trailer I had upgraded to 12v Led tail lights so I wonder if they could take 24v?
tmbrwolf
PFC
PFC

Post by tmbrwolf »

The lights I used were rated for 24V, I think that 12V LED lights would be over driven and burn out rapidly.
Ken
SFC USA (ret)
51 M37
52 M38
Franz©
PVT
PVT

Post by Franz© »

Once upon a time, in another Century there were many trailers with 6 volt lights that were towed by trucks with 12 volt systems. There were even trailers with 6 volt electric brakes that were towed by 12 volt trucks.

SOUTION

3 single filament lamps at the lower voltage installed in a small box someplace on the trailer, preferably on the front end. Wire 1 in series with the tail lights and each of the other 2 in series with the left and right signal. Problem solved! You can even locate the box where it can be seen in the mirror, and you'll know if the lights are working on the trailer.
Backup lamp bulbs, 12 volt, should work well in the case of a 12 volt trailer. If it has a bucket full of marker lights you may need a heavier lamp to drop voltage.

Cole Hearse makes resistors for the brakes if you need one.
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

This I shall try, no electric brakes and I'll mount the lamp resisters on top of my boats winch for eye balling. Thanks much. Now all I need is a male 24v plug to make up the rig.
Rusty S.
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty S. »

I bought the receptical parts from Saturn and made a military plug which I installed on my Jeep Wrangler. It is basically a military plug with a flat four connection coming out in the back. I can run with the military receptical when I am pulling my M416 or I can disconnect it at the flat four connection for other civilian trailers if need be.

I run 24v in the M416 as I pull it with the M42. I found the 24v bulbs are sufficient with 12v running through them. I installed new tail lights when I restored the trailer and they are plenty bright with 12v going through 24v bulbs.

Rusty S.