Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Coolant in exhaust

Post by BugsandJeeps »

Hi
I recently changed the exhaust gaskets on the truck and after completing it I now have coolant in the exhaust. Major smokescreen going on. This wasn't the case before and all i did was change the gaskets. I was surprised that some of the studs went into the water jacket and sealed those as per a few threads i read. Is it possible that this is the source of coolant?

Mike
ODAddict
PVT
PVT

Re: Coolant in exhaust

Post by ODAddict »

Hi Mike,

A question: why did you want to replace the gaskets?

Here's an excerpt form TM 9-8030 which is an excellent resource:

f. Installation.
(1) If any of the manifold studs were removed, install new studs in their respective locations (fig. 75) and tighten.
(2) Install a new upper to lower exhaust pipe gasket on the the lower exhaust pipe.
(3) Install new intake and exhaust manifold gaskets over the manifold studs.
(4) Position the manifold assembly on the manifold studs. As the manifold is being pushed onto the studs, install a manifold clamp washer and a 3/8-24NF nut on each of the two upper center studs. Note. Nuts cannot be installed after the manifold is in position against the cylinder block. (
5) Connect the fuel pump to intake manifold line (D, fig. 74) to the elbow (B, fig. 74) in the intake manifold and install the vacuum line clip (K, fig. 74) on the exhaust manifold up- per front stud. Position the fuel pump heat shield (L, fig. 74) over the exhaust manifold lower front stud.
(6) Install the four thick brass washers (chamfered side out) and four seize-proof nuts (A, fig. 75) (tapered side toward (8) washer) on the exhaust manifold studs.
(7) Install the other two manifold clamp washers and two s/8- 24NF nuts (B, fig. 75) on the upper studs. Install the five 3/,-24NF nuts on the lower studs (D and E, fig. 75).
(8)Tighten all manifold stud nuts lightly and evenly until the manifolds are snug against the cylinder block. Tighten the four screws that secure the intake manifold to the exhaust manifold. Tighten the manifold stud nuts.

Hope that helps.
John
M37B1-Oct 19,1958
MVPA 17461
BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Post by BugsandJeeps »

I replaced them due to an exhaust leak and obvious exhaust blowby on the engine block. I followed these steps pretty much. There is a lot less steam now compared to when i first started it. When i removed the a couple of the long bolts and one read stud that was stripped i did have a lot of coolant flow out. Starting to wonder if some got down the exhaust pipe and i am just blowing that out the muffler. It never had this issue before and the oil is fresh with no signs of coolant so not sure it is a head gasket issue.

Mike
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Mike,
Assuming that you put sealant on the studs that you removed from the block it's certainly possible your dealing with coolant in the exhaust system. It takes a long time to get it out of a partially filled muffler!!!

If all you did was gaskets it seems unlikely that you have induced a new problem with the head gasket. Just make sure you don't have any coolant in the oil. Antifreeze will attack the bearings and then you've got big problems.
Andy
BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Post by BugsandJeeps »

I did use sealant and as it seems to be less each time i start it I am thinking i'll see if it clears up. I'll keep an eye on coolant level and the oil.
ODAddict
PVT
PVT

Post by ODAddict »

I agree with Andy.

It doesn't take much coolant in the exhaust to make a lot of fumes and steam as it burns off. If you take the truck on a long enough run to really heat up the exhaust system, I will guess that it will clear up.

Please let us know how it turns out.
John
M37B1-Oct 19,1958
MVPA 17461
BugsandJeeps
PVT
PVT

Post by BugsandJeeps »

Rn the truck a couple of more times and as of last night it appears there is no coolant in the exhaust. So hopefully this was just coolant spilled in the exhaust. Thanks all for the replies. Will post again once the truck passes inspection and I can road test it.