The adventure begins.

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

k8icu
1SG
1SG

The adventure begins.

Post by k8icu »

Well the adventure began today. Drove 300 miles round trip to trade my M151A1 for a 1952 M37 and some cash. The worst part is the floor of the cab on the drivers side. It's rotted out. The rest is just surface rust and in good condition. No real rust through.

The previous owner started to take some things off like the head lights and the grill, but I have them all in the bed.

Here is a pic...taken with the cell phone so sorry for the quality. I'll take a few more in the next few days.

Not sure what all we are going to do with it, but will keep you all posted as we go.

I'll get the registration info for the list later this week. I'm too pooped right now to do it.

Joe
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
VROD02
PFC
PFC

Post by VROD02 »

To cool! Your on 715zone right? :lol: Dont worry to much about the rust, sound like yours is pretty clean.The gauge of steel ,compared to the kaisers is stout, meaning pretty simple welding .
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Congrats on the new ride. Does it run and move now? I just started my cab repairs last week. Its not difficult to patch these floors, just alot of grinding, cutting and sweat equity. I made two new floor panels out of diamond plate. Midwest Military now offers the original Dodge pattern floorplate as well for repairs :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

No right now it's basically a rock. It barelly rolls which is why it's not in the garage yet. I took my son-in-law with me to go pick it up and because of the way it was in the yard that we got it from we had to load it backwards on the trailer meaning the nose was on the end of the trailer. Well that didn't work very well. If we went over 40 mph the trailer would hop all over the place. So we found a Meijer and pulled into the very large parking lot. We took a conner of it and unloaded and reloaded the truck. The trailer was a tilt bed so we just tilted the trailer up and let it roll off into the parking lot. Drove the towing truck around and then used a comealong to pull it back on properly. Then we could do 65-70 with no problems. It looks like the truck was converted to 12V since the motor has a civy distibutor on it and a civy generator. The wiring is all screwed up and shot. So that will need to be replaced...

On the truck are the original OD green, then fire department red, then white and then brown. So it seems that after it left military life it was owned by a FD then maybe a city services and then finially in civilian hands where they beat it up. All the glass is broken and the doors are in need of work. Anyone have a good drivers door?

But it's solid and is a good canidate for a rebuild. I have a concept vehicle idea in mind that I may purse.

I love it! Maybe I'll hang on to it for another 20+ years like I did with my M151... :)
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Congrats! Looks pretty complete, and you'll enjoy the challenges of repairing it!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

Congrats on the new project. For some reason it is great fun getting started. It looks as if you have a good base to start with, mine was as well. These trucks are so fun to work on and the bodys are made out of real steel. From time to time I consieder selling mine but I know that I would just get a nother. Good luck.