Fuel additives ?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

investig8
CPL
CPL

Fuel additives ?

Post by investig8 »

I didn't drive my truck much through the winter months and after starting and running her for a while yesterday, the exhaust had that "old gas" smell to it. I know that fuel will do that when it sits for some time. My question to the group is... Is there a fuel additive that will help in revitalizing fuel that has set for several months. I really don't want to have to drain the tank, which is approx. 1/2 full.
Thanks for any assistance,
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Fuel additives ?

Post by John Mc »

I’m not aware of anything that revitalizes stale fuel. Most are designed to prevent it from deteriorating.

If your engine was running fine, why not just drive it to use it up soon? These engines were designed to run on mediocre gas.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

funny you should ask this. I just got back from a big air show, where we took about 8 vehicles down to Beaufort Marine Corps Air Station, all on trailers. Got back last night. And this AM was thinking about this. My since my truck is now at the Columbia Airport in our hanger, about 5 miles away from my home, it doesn't' get much road miles any more. I of course only use non-ethanol gas, and add Stabil to each fill. Plus some RedLine fuel cleaner too.

But now I don't drive enough to use my fuel, this present half tank is maybe 10-12 months old, and seems to run and smell fine. But at my present rate of parades and shows, it could take years to use this up. My fuel isn't going to stay good forever.

I do pull my truck out of the hanger "motor pool" and drive around the airport often, just to keep it exercised, and get it good and warmed up. I may see if any of our other members want it for their work trucks and then refuel with just a few gallons. Don't know what else to do. But per above, old gas can't be made fresh.

Will post about our part of the big show soon. Hal
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

loaded up for the two hour trip home, not my trailer or tow vehicle. hal
investig8
CPL
CPL

Post by investig8 »

I went today to O'Reilly's Auto and found a product that states it "restores" old fuel and helps dissolve and clean varnish residue from the fuel system. It is called Star Brite Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment... I guess I'll find out if it is worth anything...
Have a great week!
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Post by vargaspj »

You might consider topping off with fresh gas, and then adding a fuel treatment product to the gas to clear out any varnish in your fuel lines or carburetor (I know STP makes this and I think so does Pennzoil, Puroil, maybe Bardahl, etc). I would then burn the tank out, fill with fresh gas, and then add a fuel stabilizer (Like Amsoil fuel stabilizer, Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer, etc).
I would try to burn up the old/new gas mixture ASAP.
Also be careful if you add the fuel treatment to your tank. The instructions will say to add to your tank before adding fuel. I found out the hard way that this is to wash the additive off the walls of your fuel tank fill hoses because if you add it after you fuel your tank the additive can eat up the rubber fill lines if it's poured in your tank and allowed to sit in the fill line.
This might be a good way to get any old varnish out of your fuel system, and the sooner the better.