Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

delta31
PFC
PFC

Winch Drum Bushing Pins

Post by delta31 »

Hi All
I have read several posts on severwl forums about rebulding a LU4 winch.
I haven't seen any mention except in the TM of the small pins that go through
The drum bushings. Are people not installing these? I think our winch has had the bushings replaced and only had a pin in one of the bearings.
Thanks
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Winch Drum Bushing Pins

Post by NAM VET »

did my LU4, and don't recall any pins anywhere. Here is pic of the clutch bushing, no pins that I saw. hal
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

I don't remember pins going through the bushings that are inside the drum. But then I didn't replace my drum bushings I bought a new drum. I still have the old drum and will take a look at it. But I see now in the manual it talks about removing both, (TT) and (BJ). But doesn't say how to do it. I haven't seen any of these pins offered anyplace. And it plainly says to discard them. :|

The only function I see them performing is to keep the bronze bushing from rotating inside the drum under pressure from a pull.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I used the press at the Ft Jackson auto shop to insert mine. It was a tight fit, can't imagine the bushing would be likely to spin with a pull. hal
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

The drum of my winch has pins in both bushings. I didn't need to replace the bushings, but if I did I would probably use bearing and sleeve retainer instead of the pins. The issue I see with using the pins is that you'd likely have to drill & ream another hole in the bushing/drum for the new pin, plus fab up the pin.

Andy
delta31
PFC
PFC

Post by delta31 »

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking these are normally left out.