Fitting bushings in LU4 winch

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ez8
CPL
CPL

Fitting bushings in LU4 winch

Post by ez8 »

Finally got all my winch parts in and have started reassembly. The new bushings for the main shaft are just slightly too small and I need to increase the ID just slightly. I've tried using a brake hone and a flex hone, but they fill up with material too quickly and I can't seem to remove enough to get the shaft to fit.

Is there a good way to do this in the home workshop without going to a machinist? Is there a good way to clean material out of the brake hone?
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Fitting bushings in LU4 winch

Post by NAM VET »

when I rebuilt my LU4 a year ago, I bought extra flex hones for the bushings, and have two left over unused. I will never nee them. These have the little abrasive "balls" on a wire stem. Send me your address and I will send then to you, free as I was about to throw them away. Maybe they can finish your hone. hal
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

PM sent!
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

boxed and ready to mail, but I can't find your PM for your address. I often have problems with figuring out how to use PM's anyway, and don't want to put my phone # or address or email here on this public forum. I think the moderators have my email so see if one of them find a way to get your home address to me, somehow. Got to be a work around to my issues with PM's. I think Robi does. hal
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Hones are best for managing the surface finish in the bore, not so much for enlarging the bore dimension. The ball hones especially so. They'll work for very small enlargement, but it can be slow and as noted, they'll load up with cut material and then stop cutting.

A reamer is a better tool for the purpose. Short of having a reamer for the exact specific size, adjustable reamers will cover a narrow range of diameters. Reamers are not inexpensive (unless you can find a good one on ebay...), and not worth the expense for a one-time job like this.

I've done the bushings on my LU4 winch but can't recall the diameter. Send me a PM with the outside diameter of the shaft, and I'll see if I have a fixed or adjustable reamer you can borrow for the cost of the shipping.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

@ NAM VET & EZ8,
Email to EZ8 for direct contact assistance.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500