Valve Seat Angles

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Valve Seat Angles

Post by sturmtyger380 »

I have been searching around to see what the size / width of the 45 degree valve seat should be.

I am thinking of doing a 3 angle job on the seats of the flat head T245. Not finding much info I was going to do a standard size seat width with the 60/45/30 angles.

Then I found this reference to a Mopar Engine Manual.

Anyone on this board know if this is correct and or have done a three angle job?

Photo from this exchange - https://p15-d24.com/topic/44321-valve-v ... questions/
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Valve Seat Angles

Post by NAM VET »

personally, I think if it meant a lot back then, Dodge would have specified a 3 angle. Perhaps a very small performance gain. I wouldn't worry about it. hal
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

and a non-3 angle may allow better valve seat cooling? hal
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Typically the Exhaust valve is the one that can burn. Too little contact and it will burn. Too much contact and it doesn't get hot enough to shed its carbon buildup. The extra angles are just to improve flow around the seat and valve.

The Exhaust seat size range is the 1/16 - 3/64 = .0625 through .0468 that's a difference of .0156 to play with.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Old topic, I know, but I just found it.

The factory did specify a three angle seat profile: 60deg, 45deg, and 20deg. The 20deg is sort of an odd angle nowadays, but Neway still makes cutters in this diameter and angle. A more common 30deg would probably be okay.

Here's Fig. 46g from TM 9-1840A Engine and Clutch:

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 9.00.05 PM.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 9.00.05 PM.jpeg (145.49 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

That's interesting. I went with the 60, 45, 30deg. I wonder why they chose 20 deg. I don't see that gaining more performance. As long as the seat width is good the valves will not tell the difference.

Doing the 60 degree grind was interesting as down in the throat of the intake and exhaust the openings had different amounts of metal/not consistent with the casting. I guess porting would have been in order if this was a racing engine. :lol:
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

I'm not sure of the history of the 20deg angle. The more common 30deg or even 15deg would work, at least as far as defining the upper boundary of the valve contact face. A flow bench would give some feedback as to which angles work better, but I've never seen a flathead block on a flow bench.

The intake and exhaust passages in the block on these flatheads are awful. Lots of obstructions, corners, turns, edges, casting nubs, etc. I'm in the process of doing a port match and polish on the block and head, and it's a lot of work.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I don't rev fast enough or have enough carb to even think about needing to port or polish. The rough surfaces keep up turbulence and help keep the fuel atomized and entrained in the air.
And the flow in a flathead is a joke at best. There was a reason for the compromise of the F head in Jeep
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Hi All,
This is a timely post since we were playing around with grinding some seats yesterday in what has become the world's slowest engine rebuild!

That 20 deg top cut is weird. From what I understand if the angles differences are 15 deg or less the flow will behave as if the seat is a radius cut. For the last motor we put together we used the typical 60-45-30 cut and back cut the valves 30 deg. The idea was to try and improve low lift flow since that's what would benefit the engine the most. Once we have the deck mowed down .015" on this motor we'll be doing quite a bit of work to restore the valve seats.

We're using Sioux grinding equipment and it's been a learning process. Right now I'm wondering what the best stone is for the hardened exhaust seats. They are specified as "special alloy"... wonder what the heck it is??? The general purpose stone cuts it, but it's slow. We picked up a really nice Sioux 645 valve grinder except it's missing the coolant pump system. There's another project :roll: .

Andy
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

The Ruby stones are the best. But try and find them now!
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

ashyers wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:28 am Hi All,
This is a timely post since we were playing around with grinding some seats yesterday in what has become the world's slowest engine rebuild!
There have been some rebuilds here (mine included) that have stretched out for years... :cry:
We're using Sioux grinding equipment and it's been a learning process. Right now I'm wondering what the best stone is for the hardened exhaust seats. They are specified as "special alloy"... wonder what the heck it is??? The general purpose stone cuts it, but it's slow. We picked up a really nice Sioux 645 valve grinder except it's missing the coolant pump system. There's another project :roll: .
What about Neway carbide seat cutters?
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

just me wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:37 am I don't rev fast enough or have enough carb to even think about needing to port or polish. The rough surfaces keep up turbulence and help keep the fuel atomized and entrained in the air.
And the flow in a flathead is a joke at best. There was a reason for the compromise of the F head in Jeep
"Flathead" and "flow" should not be used in the same sentence! :lol:

While I agree that the intake port surface texture contributes to maintaining the fuel atomization, I believe that the port shape is even more important. Bends, obstructions, sharp corners, etc. are all bad news in terms of keeping the fuel in the air, and these flatheads are full of problem areas. Especially so at lower RPMs, where the intake port velocity drops.