Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Marine Corps "Paper Clip" Winch Bumper Reinforcement

Post by ashyers »

Hi All,
My students and I are tearing down the toasted M37 I picked up this summer. Our first project is to revive the winch and PTO.

While looking at a photo I found I noticed a truck with a winch and a Marine Corps "Paper Clip" bumper. The assembly had some extra brackets tying the bumper halves together. Unfortunately the photo was taken from a ways away. Does anyone have any info on those brackets? It seems that they could be easily fabricated and would be a good idea.

Thanks,

Andy
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Marine Corps "Paper Clip" Winch Bumper Reinforcement

Post by Murf »

IFthey are truly attached to the bumpers themselves it sounds like a custom mod. Either to strengthen them or something for a plow. The only cross brackets In the front were to give rigidity to the winch. They were on top of the winch. I have seen them in angle steel and the plates with 4 holes.
Can you post a picture?
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

I bought a winch set up from a guy that had a USMC truck. There was a piece of strap steel connecting the bottom of one bumper to the other. It was about 1/4 inch thick and as wide as the bumper flange. Not too long. Long enough to span the gap and to have two bolts on each side.

I don't see how that strap added much strength to the setup. It might keep the winch cable from hanging free on the drum and lay on the strap instead.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Here's the photo I found in the MVPA magazine. I'm thinking the support was to keep the bumper from folding up when using the "paper clips".
Here's the photo I found in the MVPA magazine. I'm thinking the support was to keep the bumper from folding up when using the "paper clips".
IMG_1256.jpg (194.72 KiB) Viewed 514 times
This photo looks like what sturmtyger380 described. I was wondering if anyone knows any details. It looks like there may be something the top of the winch too.

Andy
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

Years ago I've seen M37's at Yermo with a 'smile' to the winch bumpers from lifting loaded trucks that way.

A MWO most assuredly followed that.

PoW
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

The two cross pieces on top of the winch help hold the two ends on. Here is how mine looks now.

Here is the link to my winch rebuild: viewtopic.php?t=8986
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

sturmtyger380,
That's identical to mine now. I was curious about any reinforcements added to prevent the "smile". Thanks for the link, I've studied your rebuild :). The plan is to have the winch disassembled tomorrow to see what it needs. Fingers crossed.

Anybody aware if there's a MWO out there?

Andy
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Check this link out. It was very helpful - https://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/lu4winch
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

I read that one and the following one. Both have been very helpful.

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/showthread.p ... ch-Rebuild

We'll see what we find in a few minutes when the next class rolls in. It's their first project and they're equipped with a bunch of exploded views from the TM's and I'll be assisting :D . It should be a fun one, especially testing it!

Andy
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

The winch is apart. Other than some questionable assembly work by whoever took it apart last, it looks pretty good. There was some light staining on the worm gear bearing races, but they cleaned up OK. The worm was dated '53 and it has little to no wear. Now it's time for further inspection and clean up. When we were disassembling it we discovered that the drum holds quite a bit of lube :shock: ! The kids enjoyed watching me dodge that mess, I was very lucky :D . Next time I'll hold the housing while one of them removes the drum...

Andy