Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wampum

Post by Wampum »

Hello all, just thought I would jump in here and introduce myself. I am most likely a little different then most members here because I have no plans on buying and restoring an M37. The main reason is I already have several irons in the fire and I will be 74 years young in July. But I spent over 25 years around these wonderful trucks. Let me explain.

After getting out of the service in 1971 I got hired at the local cement plant here in Wampum pa. Which had a large limestone quarry. I run dozer and worked on quarry equipment including 3 draglines. We had to get to the equipment so the company invested in several M37’s from Memphis Equipment here in Pa.We worked 21 turn shifts which basically gave the quarry 24 hour 7 day coverage. Those old Dodges worked thru snow rain ice mudslides and very rough terrain for many years. We had a nice supply of new parts and a couple of mechanics to care for them. Probably the biggest problem we had with them was the brakes. With around a dozen or so different drivers each week that could be expected. Those trucks also had to kept highway safe because we had to go to the cement plant that was about 4 miles away on ovation for items that was needed.

We also had torches and tools on board for unexpected repair. For the diesel drag we hauled lubricants and parts. For the electric drags we carried parts and occasionally moved the electric cables when a dozer was not around. Those truck would run and run and outlast more modern trucks, as long as they were maintained. Glad to see that folks here are keeping them around.
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Re: New member

Post by John Mc »

Welcome, Wampum. GReat to hear of your experience using these trucks.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Welcome. And you KNOW what a capable truck an M37 is in its stock form!
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Welcome the the Fold Wampum, sounds like you really know your way around our rigs!
Again Welcome,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

Welcome.

I'd love to hear more stories about your time around these trucks, or even just doing construction work in the 70's.
Wampum

Post by Wampum »

One story I can give you is not a great one for me. In 1974 I was fresh out of the service in 1971 and pretty green around these trucks. I started to work for Medusa cement in 1972 and was running a D-9 in the quarry. We went on strike and the strike lasted about 30 days. When I came back to work I worked with 2 other guys.one one ran a 7400 electric drag line the other was the drags oiler and I was the dozer operator. I came to work in the quarry but the other 2 did not show up.so the quarry boss not wanting me to be in the quarry alone sent me to the plant to labor for my 8 hour shift. He told me to to an m-37 and go to the plant and he left. I went to my truck got my lunch and went to the power wagon to head to the plant about 4 miles away. The road down from the quarry was very steep and had a couple bad curves. I was in third gear at the top of the hill and realized about 100 yards down I had absolutely no brakes. I literally bent the emergency brake handle in half to no avail. As most of you know down shifting was next to impossible going down that hill so I was stuck in 3rd gear. At the bottom of the hill I planned on making a do able turn to the left and hopefully coast to a stop on a short hill.

However the quarry boss forgot about me and had locked the cable across the road at the bottom of the quarry hill. All I could think of if I hit that cable I might be cut in half so I turned the dodge into the left bank and rolled it over. I was very lucky that day and crawled out thru a very small window that was half crushed. The only injures I got was a scrape on my shoulder and acid burns from the battery under the seat that was now above me.

I was stupid and almost died. From that day on I never drove an m-37 with out checking the brakes. I found out latter the guards the company hired during the strike had ruined the brakes and had posted a note on the steering wheel and left it at the garage for repairs. Someone I never found out who had removed the sigh and drove it to the quarry and left it sit.
Wampum

Post by Wampum »

A friend of mine right now has 2 of those trucks and a lot of new old parts for sale as I type this. It is an on line auction if any one is interested I will attempt to figure out the trading post and post the auction site and when it ends. The one truck runs he used it on his farm the other I believe is just for parts. I do no believe he has the titles for either. They are located here about 40 miles northwest of Pittsburgh in Western Pennsylvania.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome Wampum to our G741 forum! Great to have you with us!
Lots of folks here to help you along so feel free to post your questions!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500