Cold Weather Priming Pump

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Cold Weather Priming Pump

Post by RCrombie »

Hi guys, my truck has the cold weather primer on the dash, which basically dumps raw fuel into the intake to help start the truck. It’s handy for starting the truck in cold weather, or after it sits for a length of time, but I’m wondering if it is going to be a problem now that I am adding an electric fuel pump.
The primer was originally set up to pull fuel from the line that leads from the tank to the mechanical pump which would have been under suction. Now that I’m adding an electric fuel pump, this line will now be pressurized, although low pressure. Has anyone had issues with this? Am I going to have it dumping fuel into the intake if I don’t change anything? I’m guessing it will probably be fine, but I thought I would ask since my experience with these trucks is rather limited.
Thanks
Rob
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Cold Weather Priming Pump

Post by John Mc »

Not sure if you'll have a problem with it or not. I do know that you shouldn't really need it with the electric pump. Just let the pump run a bit to make sure fuel is to the carb before cranking it
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Re: Cold Weather Priming Pump

Post by RCrombie »

That's true that it would no longer be necessary with the electric pump. I do like the odd bits of tech that these trucks came with though, so if it is functional then I would like to keep it. I guess the way to know for sure is to take a line off the manifold and prime the pump. If it leaks, I'll have to rethink it.