1953 M37 ID location

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

marlin

1953 M37 ID location

Post by marlin »

Where do I find the ID numbers to help identify what I actually have? I purchased this vehicle back in 92 , 400 bucks. Have been using as a snowplow since . The front clip has been changed over to a tilt fiberglass front section all one piece, fenders included. I would like to restore to original. It's has a 12 vdc system(not stock I'm pretty sure) Now I'm having issues with the flywheel ring gear( teeth bad 1/4 section) I either have to hardface weld and regrind, or hopefully I can locate a replacement. But I'm having ID issues on actual year and model. A couple ID.plates ? are missing off the dash. I have no reference material. Thanks Marlin.
Cal_Gary

Re: 1953 M37 ID location

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Marlin,
Check for your VIN on the left-front frame rail just in front of the steering box. You may to grind off some crud to find it.
Gary
m37 vin.jpg
m37 vin.jpg (232.73 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
marlin

Post by marlin »

Thanks for the info,but,is there a ledger identifying what the numerals represent, possibly a shop manual I could purchase? I've collected military vehicles misc since late 70s, but I never thought of getting a operaters and parts manual military issue. I have all books related to indian,triumph harley ,willie's.Any how like I mentioned earlier I am planning to restore the plow beast back to what it should be, there cool that way . I also have ,I think it's a 1940 / 41, Dodge 6x personal carrier, again books. If anyone knows of where the best place to acquire operaters, parts and service manuals pertaining to the M37. that would be cool. Just an FYI if anyone has info on site range scope,I was told ,what I have is the site /range targeting sumpthing, should be for a howitzer other than that I have no clue. Thank you for the update on vin . I'll be checking this out next day. Marlin.
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Here's a link to where you can download many of the manuals for free:
https://www.imfmotorpool.com/M37_Manuals.html

I prefer having printed versions to look at, but having a digital copy can come in handy as well (a quick look up of info, or printing out a copy to use during a messy job).

I ordered my paper manuals from Vintage Power Wagons.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

For parts outside the usual surplus dealers, NAPA knows that truck by the military family type designation as the G741.

That covers all the variants; cargo, telephone, ambulance, R2.

Handy for things like filters, belts, seals, eTc.

PoW
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

marlin wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:42 am Thanks for the info,but,is there a ledger identifying what the numerals represent, possibly a shop manual I could purchase? I've collected military vehicles misc since late 70s,.....
Forget about a shop manual, you don't need to get any serial to look for spare parts numbers and details, production barely changed during the 17 years these trucks were produced. Here you can witness: Production changes
To be honest I am a bit surprised of you asking these things and telling you've been acquiring military vehicles for more than 40 years.

Sebastian
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
marlin

Post by marlin »

Mostly I've collected military harleys willy's and deuce and a half (Studebakers) My M37 snow plow is the only Dodge I've ever picked up and I've been using my motors manuals for reference as I have a couple 1940 Dodge cars 1 business coup and one four door ( opera doors) . Dodge Motors are pretty much the same and working on them ,to me is easy. One thing though, is of all the swap meets I've been to I've never come across any reference material for military Dodges or other military,vehicles. I'm lucky to have found
the books I do have. All the other vehicles I've collected,sold and traded have been complete. Never really needed any books on them. The only military reference material I have is for Harley 45's (restored and sold six in the past still have one in the works and enough parts to build a few more) Have books for my 841 shaft drive Indian , british made motorcycles and willys. Aside from my willy's, the M37 I have is my work horse,snow plow and log skidder. But because I plan on restoring this to it's original state,now that I'm retired. Hence the inquiry on books. Believe it or not , the last few months is the first time I've ever had a cell phone in all these years and my internet access has been at the library .Hopefully that answers your question. Thank You,. Marlin.