Problem accelerating after coasting

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Ray505
PVT
PVT

Problem accelerating after coasting

Post by Ray505 »

I have been trying to figure out a problem with my 62 M37 and I need some help from the experts. The problem is as follows: If I am coasting down a hill when I press the gas pedal to continue driving there is no response from the engine (like a dead spot). I will pump the gas pedal and after a few pumps the engine will jump back to life just as if it has received a shot of gas. At no time does the engine die out. It doesn't happen all the time and it has also happened on level ground like when I slow down to make a turn. Also, engine temp is at normal. I did replace the accelerator pump in the carb and it did seem to improve the problem but did not cure it. Any help will be greatly be appreciated.
Just to let you all know I found this forum to be an excellent resource when I was completing the restoration of my M37. Charles was especially helpful and I used almost all of his tips on my truck. Again thanks for any input.
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Problem accelerating after coasting

Post by PoW »

The accelerator pump works by vacuum, not your foot.

When you go to WOT, the loss of vacuum is supposed to trigger pump action.

All these functions are related to the governor as well.

You may have a vacuum leak or timing issue somewhere causing this problem.

I'd hook up a temporary vacuum gauge to read whilst driving, to see if it behaves wonky sometimes.

PoW
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

When mine did that, it was the governor. Once I adjusted that, it stopped misbehaving.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

mine will do the same thing. a well timed blip of the choke will get things going. also found a bit of seafoam in the tank clears it up....
.............................. use it ...............
Ray505
PVT
PVT

Post by Ray505 »

Thank you for the suggestions. I will have to explore each one to see if my problem goes away. Back to the garage.