My 1952 Dodge M37 re-building process

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Re: My 1952 Dodge M37 re-building process

Post by Argie1978 »

Back in Spain after a month, too much booze and probably 2 kilos gained. Tomorrow I'm going back to the shop.
As currently we're about to start the electric part, I am putting here the wiring diagram. I managed to re-sample and sharpen for big printing so it's more comfy to be used at the shop.
I don't want to mess with the old post HERE.
Originally mine didn't come with turning signals so of course I'm following the late wiring, but here I'm also adding the early one just in case.

Early diagram in 3840x2592:

Late diagram in 3840x2821:

Sorry I cannot do the attaching, files are 4,8MB in total.
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Hi folks, it's been long.
As I am overwhelmed with work (hence, travelling) there isn't much progress in the last 30 days.
We installed the engine after arrival and detected a crack in the exhaust manifold (note: this was keep apart during machining). After analyzing for a bit had to procure a new one. Luckily for me, the T-214 is widely spread here in Europe due to a lot WC51/52 fans, so getting one was not an issue.
Some assorted pics during machining and final results....

Image Image

Image Image

Indeed, that's the crankshaft that got lost for months....

Image Image

The plan was to paint the engine with the silver color seen straight out of factory but, in all seriousness, I really like how this green looks.

Check the water tube.... :shock:

Received the manifold days ago at home, but I was in Germany. Tomorrow I'm planning to go to the shop and start checking for next steps.
The shop is also testing the paint so let's see. I'm afraid that, with the inflation, paint and all chemical-related stuff has gone thru the roof. It's gonna be expensive this time. :(
Sebastian
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

The M37 engine is a T-245, not a 214. Yours is correct.

PoW
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Hi Prince. Here in Spain it was super common to swap the flatheads for Land Rover engines due to availability of parts in the 60s. This is because the English manufacturer sold a production license to Santana Motor Co. in Linares (Andalusian community). These guys started providing vehicle maintenance to the Spanish Civil Guard corps and army.
If you check the first page of this thread you'll see mine is holding a T-214, so in a way I was lucky given what I'm mentioning.
To give you more details, mine didn't come with the waterproof screw cap in the distributor, nor the large tube and dipstick w/cap.
But, anyways,....I don't think there is any difference in the exhaust manifold between the two. Maybe the heat shield position/installation.
Sebastian
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

What does the stamping on the upper left part of the block say?
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Looks like some very good progress.

Regards,
Bert
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Hi all. Short update.

From previous weeks:
Some parts after de-rusting, polishing, priming and painting:

"Presenting" the canvas from Midwest after arrival...

Trans and engine assembly....
Image Image

Image Image

Looks neat, but the carb is a question mark as we used a metal repair filler in some cracks found.
Honestly I don't currently have 450€ (aprox., could be more) to spend on a new carb. This is the usual price here in Europe knowing the core will not be taken due to the fixed surface.

Re-doing the fuel circuits and lines. The pick up was removed as there is still rust and needs cleaning. The fuel pump was kaputt, so now we're using one from the era (I cannot recall the brand/model) as tester for first cranking the engine. Eventually will see what to do (original, electric....).

More to come.
Sebastian
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Lots of progress and its looking good.

Regards,
Bert
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

After several methods of getting fuel from the tank to my engine, I finally settle on this, a 24 V (similar are avail in 12 V) Facet low pressure fuel pump, put in the red valve so I can shut off the fuel line when I tinker with some part of it. I run one wire to the pump, pumps as soon as my engine has oil pressure, with a by-pass to pump when the starter is engaged. I also added a separate switch to prime the lines and carb before I spin the motor. Works fine.

hal
ImageImage
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

I know myself. Which every step forward in this process I am becoming more and more purist. Thought about it for a moment, but I don't see myself procuring an electric pump. Just like when I was a teenager in Argentina with one of these trucks: a few pumps on the gas pedal and there we go.
Sebastian
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

The ETW1 carb on an M37 does not have a manual accelerator pump function. Pump all you like, but it will not give a shot of gas. :(

The accelerator pump works only when the engine is running, and is automatically activated when called for via a low vacuum mode.

Those carbs are more complicated than the older ones, one reason they are high $.

The choke is usually necessary to get the engine started.

The danger of keeping a mechanical fuel pump is the new ethanol-laced gas can rot out the diaphragm in it and let gas into the oil.
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Even without ethanol gas, those diaphragms eventually fail. When that happens, the gas gets dumped into the crankcase. Hopefully, you catch it before real damage is done. By eliminating the mechanical fuel pump, that failure mode is avoided. If your electric pump fails, you are simply stuck by the side of the road until you figure it out (replace the pump or rig up a gravity-fed pony tank to get you home.)

So while less cranking/easier starting is a nice bonus, the deciding factor for me was protecting my recently-rebuilt 251 engine.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

I was 22yo last time I drove this truck and I was not into these details (although I cannot assure the original pump was installed in that vehicle).
Anyways, I can keep using the choke, no problem for me. Thanks for the info.
Regarding ethanol, ok this is an old discussion that perhaps requires its own thread. In Europe we have E85, E10 and E5 gasoline-ethanol mixture types (haven't heard so far about E15).
E5 is going to be maintained for a while because of some governments forcing it. Actually here in Spain, more than 90% of fuel stations dispatch E5. This was supposed to change in 2020, but no....
This doesn't mean I won't need to keep an aye on the additives used. :?
Sebastian
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Last week was like a detailing metal work. After the epoxi was done like a month ago, we put the metal to rest to focus on the engine + transmission.
Applying putty to even the surface:

Image Image

How it used to look...
Image Image

The sheet metal of the hood had wrinkles,....can be seen as example in the left pic below:
Image Image

All this was also applied in the rest of the cab and doors. Doors were a joke, like somebody practiced football kick with them.
To think that nothing of this could be seen clearly under ten layers of thick paint when I bought the truck.... :x
At least I would have fought more for lowering the price.

Even with all the treatments applied on the steel, there were curved surfaces, stitches, holes, minor corrosion spots, etc....

Image Image

Image Image

It is expensive and takes time, not gonna lie. But at the end of the day you have peace of mind for job well done. Also, to be sure that you are covered in humidity, temperature differences, saltpeter and all the s#@! from beach weather.

This and next week: painting.

(I have re-arranged the pics, text and provided more info)
Last edited by Argie1978 on Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

A very fine job doing what should be done to preserve another M37.

Been there, done that, several times.

PoW