Presentation from Spain!

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Presentation from Spain!

Post by Argie1978 »

Hi, it's been a while but finally I'm introducing myself.
My name is Sebastian, I'm 43yo, and I live in Spain. Currently I'm restoring my M37. The idea is to go as much as I can for the original condition although I'm not planning parades nor building a museum. Just for the sake of fun and because I like originals, spartan vehicles, simple things (otherwise I'd have bought a RAM or whatever 4WD out there).
I've been part of several forums for other cars I had (nothing special) also I've been moderator and admin, so I know the rules of engagement and you will not see me creating a thread until the very last moment after checking the SEARCH tool (unless the topic is quite old and needs and update).
It's my first old truck so I'm here to learn from you guys. And no problem to share my findings although I think you've already seen everything.

The day it arrived from Tarragona (Catalunya), where it sat for like a decade. Luckily the engine wasn't stuck. But the poor thing had a very low compression ratio, it could barely move the vehicle.
It took me 2 months to find the transport for less than 720€ for just doing 400km. :x

Without the engine as I sent it to be rebuilt. Also the rad had to be repaired due to indentations and leaks.

I have an immediate goal: to get this girl back on the road. No fashioned restyling. That will be done after (new cushions, some painting...). So after the engine is rebuilt, frame sandblasted, all electrical checked (possibly rebuilt too), remove that hard top to get some nice canvas and remove a winch that was put in the bed (vehicle used to be owned by a crane company long ago...) I'll present it to the inspection authorities.

As usual, layers and layers of paint. Rust is found in some specific areas. Overall the vehicle looks fine on the subject. I've seen the frame and yes, it needs maintenance but nothing complicated.

This is the bed.....and the winch. My eyes hurt seeing what they did (they even affected the frame a little bit). I don't think I'll keep it. As you can see is not the original Braden that goes at the front (maybe the marina near me looks for something like this....).

I am currently realizing of a problem with the identification of the truck. I will explain on another topic.
That's all for the moment. I'll keep you guys updated on the restoring, perhaps creating a specific thread for a hope-not-so-long story to be told. :wink:

Sebastian
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
greeno
SGT
SGT

Re: Presentation from Spain!

Post by greeno »

Welcome Sebastian! Glad to see someone caring for this piece of history.
M37
YEAR: 1954
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

Welcome.

Looks like a fun project!
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Howdy! She doesn't look bad at all.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Thank you guys. Worth to note that I am not doing the restoration but "directing" it. I lack the space and time for the big things and at this moment an specialized shop is doing the job (they restore American muscles and classic Euro super-sports). But all steps and priorities are managed by me.
In a later stage I will start putting my hands on it. For the moment, I am in charge of getting the proper spare parts, looking for NOS and alternatives. They've told me to change the engine, "nope"; go to 12v, "nope"; keep the hard top, "nope";....etc, etc.
They're highly recommended professionals but not used to military things. I prefer to have control. Hey, I'm paying for this too!
Sebastian
Pat Gray
PFC
PFC

Post by Pat Gray »

Hello Sebastian! Welcome from Washington State in the U.S.A.!
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Ho-La Sebastian, and welcome to the Forum!
Your serial number should be on the frame, just ahead of the steering box, it should match your data plate on the glove box, if you haven't figured that out yet?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Hi Bruce, thanks but I know where the serial is. As mentioned, I will explain in another topic but just to give you a hint: my serial is 10 digits and it doesn't start with the following:

800xxxxx
802xxxxx
L245-xxxxx
2661-xxxxx
2668-0-xxxxx

I checked the driver's spring and saw too much paint that I will need to remove for re-checking. But the serial I got in the papers is 815xxxxx.
I have weird feeling about it. The ID data plate on the glovebox's door is barely legible (it got cooper colored so yo can imagine its current state). I'll go back to the shop during the week and pay more attention to this before opening the thread.

Sebas
Sebastian
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome Sebastion! Nice looking truck-thanks for the photos too!
Glad to have you with us!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Ah, Tarragona! Spent a great week on the beach there in '70. Loved the Roman ruins too. Welcome, Hal
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Murf »

Welcome aboard! We do have all sorts of parts here and there throughout the U.S. Give a shout if you find something scarce over there. We are happy to help.
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Thank you all for the warm welcome. :D
Sebastian
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

hola Sebastián! bienvenido!!
this is Ronnie from Argentina, I also owned an M37. It's in good condition but yours is awesome!! congratulations
I'm planning on restoring it to a decent originality. :D
good luck!!
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Hey Ronnie, I’m gonna keep the language for our Anglo-speaking friends here. Wanna know something funny, I’m Argentinian too!
Used to have fun with an M37 back there in the 90s.
Nowadays I’m living in Europe but still have all my friends and family there. Life can be so unpredictable, here I am, starting this new project at 43.
Sebastian
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

hello Seba. Sorry for the delay! unbelievable... world is too small!! heheheh

I'm 39 from Rosario and with the same dream!!!

keep us updated!!