Dealing with leaking windshield bottom gasket

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

refit1701
1SG
1SG

Dealing with leaking windshield bottom gasket

Post by refit1701 »

When we restored the truck, the windshield frame got all new rubber. The issue is the cowl is not uniformly smooth on top due to age or something else.

What have any of you done to prevent wet shoes inside the cab when it's raining? I do try to avoid driving in the rain but it does happen sometimes. My truck isn't like many WWII vehicle that can never get wet else they melt.

I've heard about layering blue tape on the cowl and filling the gap on the rubber gasket with black gasket compound. The frame is locked upright and the goop is allowed to cure. Then you remove the tape from the cowl and the plan is the caulk sticks to the gasket and seals the leaks.

Has anyone tried this? Or is there another solution. I did have a guy one suggest to move the gasket forward by a small amount.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Dealing with leaking windshield bottom gasket

Post by PoW »

I'd replace the stock weatherseal strip with a piece of Macklanburg-Duncan garage door bottom seal.

The profile is perfect, and is made of vinyl rather than rubber, meaning it will stay pliable forever.

It's even black, and for the $, you get enough to do two trucks.

It also does the front fender welt beautifully...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/M-D-03749-16 ... /290834228

PoW
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Re: Dealing with leaking windshield bottom gasket

Post by mike_l »

A little late but I use some of the foam rope sealer/caulk that you find in the store for drafts. It comes in different diameters so depending on the gap, you can find something that works. I started with the smallest diameter and worked my way up until it stopped the seepage. I just put the water hose on the windshield to test it. One long strip across the cowl, hinge to hinge, under the windshield seal, works fine. And unless you lay the windshield down, you don't know its there.

The problem now is the rubber seal on the inner windshields will let some water in at the corners. It is new rubber too but it still lets some water through. Nothing like it did before though.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA