Radios for a USAF truck

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

refit1701
1SG
1SG

Radios for a USAF truck

Post by refit1701 »

I was originally going to mount the huge RT68 radio set (with that large heavy mount) in the bed but got to thinking about what radios an AF truck would actually have. Most radios I see seem to be for the Army or USMC.

Does anyone have an idea what radio the AF would have in a truck? I guess there might not be a reason to have one as they are on the airbase all the time. But I like radios so it would be neat to install one. I am a Ham btw.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
UZIS9MM
PFC
PFC

Re: Radios for a USAF truck

Post by UZIS9MM »

Refit1701,

First and foremost I would ask what time period you are shooting for? The radio trucks in the 1960's had different radio sets than the ones of the 1950's. Also, all of the newest equipment made it's way to Vietnam and our troops stationed in Korea and Europe. Active duty troops stateside also had newer equipment than the Army Reserve and National Guard, so location you wish to portray also comes into play when setting up a radio truck.

You say you would like to set up an Air Force radio truck. All of the AF radio trucks I've seen vintage photos of have big, nasty antennas mounted to them because they are communicating with aircraft and need the range. Bigger radios sets are also needed for communicating with aircraft because of the power these units are kicking out. Power requirements for the radios mean your truck would need a 100 amp alternator. At this point I would say you would need a communications hut mounted in the bed of your truck and I'm sure you do not want to go that route.

Correct Cold War radios (if you're portraying that time period) for you truck would either be a GRC-160 or VRC-12. Both of these sets were used in Vietnam and stateside and I'm sure they would've been mounted in Air Force trucks used for base security.

If you're going more for the 1950's then stick with the VRC-10 setup.

A very nice PRC-10 w/ amplifier set just popped up on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/134014193767?h ... SwmkNh~HEA

This would be a nice little set to put in your truck. It's a little pricy but it's small and will fit nicely on the troop seat behind the driver. If anyone asks why it's in an Air force truck tell them it's for flight line communications.

Kevin (Uzis9mm)
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Oh boy. First, my truck is marked up for a squadron from the Korean misunderstanding so that's a consideration.

Next....WOW, $450 for a PRC-10 and power supply?? I have one of those sets in the shed. I guess that answers that question!

I do have all that VRC-10 stuff, it's heavy and I don't think mine actually works.

There's a chance the PRC-10 works so there is that. I do have a S-89 shelter mounted on a trailer but I'd be more likely to just tow it around rather than putting it in the bed.

Good post, thanks.
-John

1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Are you wanting a radio for talking (i.e. Ham Radio) or just listening? A GRR-5 is a nice receiver to put into any vehicle and you can run it on the 24V or 12V so if you wanted to have a dedicated car battery for it you could. Just needs a simple AB=15 antenna and you can listen to Am radio station as well as shortwave stations. They are great radios. If you want for talking then any of the systems you mentioned will work just fine. If your trying to create a flight line truck or forward air controller vehicle the only pics I've seen has been mounted in jeeps. Here is a link to a pic of the radio equipment in on of those. https://www.polkcounty.org/vn/dasf/4thd ... 108-09.jpg. If you have a PRC 10 set up and it works go with what you have. You can always add or subtract as time goes by. Post some pics of your ride I know I'd love to see it and I'm sure others would to.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Radio use for actual talking would probably be limited by the range those units have. There maybe a handful of hams in our club and one of them has working military units.

I might have a GRR-5, I'll have to look. I might save the PRC-10 set up for the M151 I'm currently restoring. The VRC-10 stuff is a beast and so far does not work. But it takes up a lot of space on the bench that would otherwise be used for passengers in parades.

Lots to think about. Those FAC or flight line radios are beasts as well and I don't have any of that.
-John

1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Minor update:

My GRR-5 powers up and makes static but I am still looking for the antenna for it. It's here somewhere.

The PRC-10/mobile power supply also powers up and works but I have not tried transmitting yet.

I also have a RT-48 that works but I have not been able to find anything to receive. I don't have a vehicle mount for it.

I have several junk PRC-6 radios that I think I will put family radio units in for convoys and kids at shows.

I have the RT-68 with all the accessories and mount but it's a beast and does not work so far.

So I do have some choices.
-John

1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

On the GRR 5 you can use just about anything for a temp antenna for testing a length of wire even will work.
Sounds like you've got some things to work with. Of course if you just want something for display then working doesn't always need to be an option you can just install it and go.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!