Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

investig8
CPL
CPL

4-wheel operation

Post by investig8 »

Happy Holidays Gentlemen...
I enjoyed the pleasant south Texas weather today by taking Fiona on a short drive. A portion of that drive was specifically to test the 4-wheel drive operation, which I had not done previously. My question is, when engaging the 2-wheel / 4-wheel operation lever, should I feel a clear engagement as I do with the High / Low lever. I didn't feel anything and when driving after "engaging" it, I really couldn't feel alot of difference in the operation of the truck, albeit I was on a hard level surface. Once I shifted from High Range too Low Range, I felt a definite "engaging" of the gears and could tell the difference in the truck's operation...
Thanks again for your wisdom...
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
j mccormick
CPL
CPL

Re: 4-wheel operation

Post by j mccormick »

You won't feel much difference going straight in 4 hi on a hard surface, but try turning sharp and you'll know it's engaged!

Joe
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

You don't happen to have locking front hubs, do you? If so, are they unlocked?

As J Mccormick noted, you will definitely notice a difference when in 4WD if you turn sharply on pavement. you can feel things binding up a bit, since there is no center differential to allow the front wheels to turn differently than the rears.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
investig8
CPL
CPL

Post by investig8 »

Thanks Gentlemen, I don't have locking hubs, so that's not part of the equation. I didn't think about turning while in 4-high. I know exactly what to look for.
Thanks again,
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

the shift into 4 from 2 or 4 back into 2 is very smooth. you can actually shift into 4 at any speed but you CANT shift into low when moving without a bunch of grinding!
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I agree with the above: if you're in 4x you'll definitely feel it in the steering-additional turning resistance from the front drive wheels.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500