Ticking sound up front...

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Ticking sound up front...

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi guys,
Last trip out, started hearing an intermittent ticking sound coming from the front-not the sound of a lifter tick so I suspected perhaps the water pump was finally going bad, or the fan blades making contact. Could also have been the alternator except that only has 3500 miles on it. Since I had the truck out front flying the flags for 9/11 I decided to troubleshoot the noise before garaging the truck.

After removing the fan belt and running the engine, no sound or ticking at all, a good sign. Turns out the alternator pivot nut and bolt worked loose, allowing the alternator fins to just barely contact the mount itself. I've also been dealing with a squealing fan belt (too narrow for the pulleys), and since I already had the belt off I went back to the other old one I stored (same number as the existing one, but 3/16th wider-go figure). Once I belted up and tightened the mount bolt I solved both issues-no more ticking, and no more squealing.

Glad it was something simple.

Keep 'em running gang!
Gary
Attachments
M37 9-11-2021.JPG
M37 9-11-2021.JPG (49.33 KiB) Viewed 561 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
U404S
PFC
PFC

Re: Ticking sound up front...

Post by U404S »

It is always something, isn’t it? What a relief for a manageable problem.

Otherwise I will mention yours is one nice looking truck Gary.

Cheers, Jerry
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks Jerry! The picture doesn't show the multi-colored paint, numerous dents and dings aka character marks, but it's the only one in my neighborhood, and draws some attention whenever I'm terrorizing the Salt Lake Valley. :)
Next task is to take a points file to my points, confirm the .020 gap, and check the E3 spark plugs-known to carbon up pretty quick.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

Good Job!!!