new gaskets on PTO?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

new gaskets on PTO?

Post by NAM VET »

After about 350 miles on a fresh top-up of my transmission fluid, (I use REDLINE MTL), I decided to check to see if I needed to add any, as I have some seepage from the transmission side cover gasket, and from the gasket set between the PTO and the transmission. I added about a third of a quart. Since my drivetrain is otherwise leak free, esp since I installed the completely rebuilt NP 200 transfer case by Charles T, I want to re-gasket the side plate, which looks to be a simple task.

But putting new gaskets on the PTO to Transmission requires a specific gasket set for the gear lash. My question is: is there an easy way to measure the needed gasket package with the transmission in the truck? I have a dial indicator and magnetic base if needed. I have the needed gasket sets coming from VPW. There is a little PTO seepage from the seal on the lower shaft. Is that too difficult to replace?

Was a long hot trip to he beach, and I will be driving back early next week. Was pleased to know that my engine used absolutely NO engine oil on the trip.

Put the 30 cal on the pedestal in the bed for a Cars and Coffee last week, was a big hit. Everybody loves an army truck, esp with the chance to swing a MG around.

NAM VET, UpState SC
Cal_Gary

Re: new gaskets on PTO?

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Hal,
My 8031 manual page 185 indicates you set the gear lash thru the right-side of the tranny with a dial indicator. The PTO shift shaft seals are easy, just pry out and install, checking the shaft to ensure it's not pitted where the seal contacts the shaft. Charles has a stainless shifter shaft available if you need a replacement. I purchased one several years ago and still haven't gotten around to installing it.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

OK, I am still away from home, and will read the procedure when I get home. thanks, Hal
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

you set the gear lash thru the right-side of the tranny with a dial indicator.
Yep. You bolt the PTO on the side and measure from the other by taking the cover off. The shaft seal, if you can get it out, a new one can be driven over the shaft if you rig up a tool. I normally make these tools from PVC pipe of various sizes. You need to inspect the shaft for wear where the seal rides. But the shaft is not turning unless you use the winch so wearing out a new seal is a low chance thing.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I am down at the beach, and after my truck was sitting for two days, I just crawled under to inspect where my transmission and PTO are leaking. There are no leaks from the trans itself. The side plate and rear and front main seals are dry. Both ends of the PTO shifter rod are where my leaks are, plus a little bit from one of the studs or bolts holding the PTO to the trans. I think I can re-seal that bolt/stud without removing the PTO.

So I need to replace the front and rear PTO shaft seals. My question is how to pull them with the shaft in place. I have an assortment of shaft pulling tools, incl one for when the shaft is still in place. But what suggestions and cautions do you have for me to pull the two small seals in place. Drill and tap a screw/bolt and lever them out? Put some heat around them? Partially cut them with a Dremel?

Thanks, Hal
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Hal, those seals are very flimsy. You can probably slide a flat-tip up the inside and pop them loose.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

finally out!

Post by NAM VET »

spent most of the day under my truck, finally was able to remove both of the shift seals. They had a very slow leak, maybe a quarter-sized spot on my driveway daily. Looking over the PTO from below, it looks impossible to remove the PTO with the trans in the truck, there is a big bracket on the frame making it probably impossible. It took my Dremel, assorted drill bits, picks, chisels, several hammers, various pliers, drifts, small pry bars, a torch, and a variety of profane expressions.

And three bandaged fingers.

The two shaft ends have just a little corrosion, and I was careful to keep from nicking or scratching the shafts. My plan is to use 1400 grit sandpaper to polish the exposed ends, and then use my buffing wheels to finalize the polishing. The old seals were steel, and really hard to remove.

I know SS shafts are available, but without dismounting the PTO I don't know how to replace the shaft with it mounted.

All the best.,,, Hal
[url=https://postimg.cc/Yh2hfNxf][img]h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

The PTO WILL clear everything for removal in place if it's mounted with studs and nuts not bolts; however, it is very tight. One trick I did once was to remove the 4 tranny mount bolts then turn the tranny counter-clockwise just a smidge to get the PTO out.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I am going to just replace the seals, it doesn't leak anywhere else. My seals were steel, and really hard, not a softer metal like brass or thin steel. Perhaps an old military or otherwise seal manufacture. Modern seals are needed much more "flimsy" as there is no need to make them like a bearing race or the like. But they are out.... Hal
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

just a quick follow up. It was really hard, more than challenging, to get the "old" steel shift seals out, but then polished the shafts, and installed the new light, thin seals in a few minutes, adjusted the clutch cab lever, tested, all well now. Took an hour or less to do this. I wiped a very thin coat of Permatex sealant on the outer rim of the seals.

Now, to put my new NDT spare on, for the bulged front NDT. But first some coffee and a danish, sa