Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

investig8
CPL
CPL

Steering help

Post by investig8 »

Hello all,
Proud to announce that after a year and a half and let's just say a few thousand dollars, I took Fiona on a short maiden drive through the neighborhood. Everything went as it should except the steering. It steers incredibly hard to the left. I didn't rebuild the steering when I did the framework and am looking for suggestions as to what I need to look for to correct that...
As always, thanks for the assistance!
Dennis
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Steering help

Post by NAM VET »

there is a "nut" on the inside of the steering box which adjusts the tension on the inner gears of the steering box. There is a cutout on the splash panel to get to it. Here is a pic of the nut and the inner "screw", there are instructions in the TM for adjusting the tension. ou raise the front axle and wheels for the ground, then turn the steering wheel each way until you feel it starts to gets tight. If you need more, let us know. Oh, and congratulations on your drive. NV

I hAve epic of this lock nut an screw, but am having trouble posting a pic of itl. I'll try later this pm .
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

prepping for my 200 mile drive down to the Charleston area, decided this AM to see if my steering "play" could be snugged up a bit. Per page 272 of the TM, lifted the front wheels off the ground, did not want to stress the front axle "pumpkin" so placed a 4X4 under the front cross member brace, and my jack was able to make the wheels clear the ground. My steering wheel is about 4 and 3/8 turns lock to lock, so centered the steering wheel in between. I did it from above, although I had to loosen my 100 amp alternator and swing it away a little. Used a 15/16 open end on the nut, and before I removed the special lock washer, I wedged some fabric between the steering box and the frame, as dropping the washer in-between the two would have ruined my day.

The special washer has notches on the rim which locks it on the nubbin on the box, so the screw/bolt adjustment won't turn when tightening the cap nut. Just one sure to place the washer so the tab on its inner opening slides on the slot in the adjusting screw. Sprayed the nut and the adjuster threads with brake cleaner so it threaded on easily.

It has been several thousand miles since I last adjusted my lash, and all it took was maybe one "nubbins' worth of turn of the adjusting screw to take out a tiny bid of slack.

If a rebuild is done on a bench, the spec for how tight the worm gear lash should be is 24 INCH pounds, so the "drag" on the steering wheel at center isn't much, and I made my lash barley perceptible. Topped off the box with a few oz of Mobil 600 wt "steam oil", and cleaned and reinstalled the vent.

The steering "play" or slack in my steering wheel isn't much, maybe 3 inches at the top of the steering wheel.

Lunch time. If you have any questions, let us know Hal
Redleg130
PVT
PVT

Post by Redleg130 »

I recently got an M37

In going through it, I discovered some "clips" that have come apart on the steering components. They are listed as item "M" (cover) on this diagram https://shop.midwestmilitary.com/produc ... oded-view/. All four places that the ends clip into the slots have come apart and I am not sure if I should replace these or attempt to reconnect them. They appear damaged, like forcefully pulled apart.

The components appear solidly connected and these clips do not appear substantial enough to hold it on in any case. How critical is this cover? Steering is slightly wobbly but easily manageable.