Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

KenInGA
CPL
CPL

Split shifting

Post by KenInGA »

Can it be done?

In a bone-stock B1?

I had read a post on SteelSoldiers about hauling a large load of gravel in a deuce, which evolved into a discussion about split shifting the Spicer 3053A...
and then I got to thinking about towing a 1 1/4 ton load with my truck, and curiosity overwhelmed me...
'62 M37B1- It runs AND stops!
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

The only way to "split shift" an M37 would be by using the high & low ranges of the transfer case. This means that you would have to operate in 4-wheel drive at all times. Unfortunately, you must come to a complete stop before shifting the transfer case.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

That's what the Army calls split shifting in a duce and a 5 ton. When the truck has a heavy load you start out in 1st gear low range then rev up and shift into 1st gear hi range. Then rev to 2nd gear low then 2nd hi and so on. Thus your 5 speed truck is now a 10 speed.

On a duce or five ton you can change from high to low range while on the move. Push in the cluthc grab the lever and either pull up or push down. But don't know on a M37 but since the M715 had the same basic trasnfer case I believe you'de have to stop between gears and make the shift. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

The M37 t-case can't be shifted while the vehicle is in motion. Look at the t-case data plate!
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
KenInGA
CPL
CPL

Post by KenInGA »

Lifer wrote:The M37 t-case can't be shifted while the vehicle is in motion. Look at the t-case data plate!
OK. Makes sense.
'62 M37B1- It runs AND stops!