Front End Alignment

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

delta31
PFC
PFC

Front End Alignment

Post by delta31 »

I'm just curious what others here have done with their trucks as far as front end alignment. For a stock truck that won't see high speeds or a lot of driving, can the front end be aligned by careful measuring with a tape measure?
Or doe it need to be done by a shop that does alignments?
We are running new STA NDT tires which weren't cheap so the cost of an alignment should not be an issue. I am just not sure if a shop would be able to do it?
Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Re: Front End Alignment

Post by RCrombie »

Careful measurement with a tape measure is absolutely fine, provided the rest of the steering linkage is in good shape. Since all we can really do is set the toe on these trucks, and they are low speed... you can’t really go wrong.
1/4” to 1/8” toe in is fine.
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

I use a cheap, round, spring loaded 5' curtain rod.

Squeeze it between the tires as far to the front as possible, and mark it with a sharpie. Leave the rod in place and roll the truck forward to place the rod as far back as possible. Mark it again, remove and read your toe-in.

Also, tired springs will affect caster, and metal wedges are available to correct this.

PoW
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

I use a tape. stock spec is 0"-1/8" i always set at 1/8". the stock caster is basically zero. some people shim more caster in to get a better steering wheel return after making turns. I dont because i like to offroad my dodges and having zero caster almost eliminates bump steer/wheel whip off road. zero caster also makes them easier to turn when your not moving.