Need help finding TDC

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

vit16
CPL
CPL

Re: Need help finding TDC

Post by vit16 »

Yes, I noted that too the first time. I didn´t correct that neither.
But seems that a configuration like that works better?

Imagefuel near my location
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

What I can't tell is: is that plug a little better configuration for this engine, or is it just better at masking a too rich mixture?
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I have had my military plugs out from time to time, and have found that even a few minutes of idling will make them have some "carbon" on them, from running a bit rich at idle. But they should all look the same, or very nearly so. Plus, be carful to tool long a center ceramic electrode, as the clearance from the center of the plug is very near the exhaust valve on some cylinders. I found when doing a compression check with my MAC tools compression tester, which comes with both a short and a long screw-in adaptor for the plug hole, that it can touch the exhaust valve. Also, military and civilian plugs need to be the correct "heat range' for their use, both for the keep the plug "clean" and to avoid detonation.

When I had my rebuilt by me engine further worked on by Charles Talbert's team, he told me that it is necessary to bolt the intake and exhaust manifold together, and then have their mating surface to the cylinder head machined to be sure the mating surfaces to the head are perfect. I had just bolted my two parts tougher. So perhaps your mating surface of the intake and exhaust manifolds do not perfectly fit the cylinder head, leading to some leakage. I found that even though these are ancient designs, and very simple, they have to be assembled with great care and precision.

Also, I use new copper washers every time I reinstall my plugs, I get them in packs from Jegs racing. I think the torque is 30 pounds or so.

NV
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

Just a thought that came to me reading this. I had a similar issue where the truck idled, drove nicely at slow speeds but would die on hills and couldn't get out of third gear on a flat road. Turned out to be a pinhole in the fuel line where it passed the transfer case cross member. There was enough dirt and crud there that there wasn't an apparent leak when it was sitting either.

Rob
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

John Mc wrote:What I can't tell is: is that plug a little better configuration for this engine, or is it just better at masking a too rich mixture?
true: it is just better at masking a too rich mixture!!
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

NAM VET wrote:I have had my military plugs out from time to time, and have found that even a few minutes of idling will make them have some "carbon" on them, from running a bit rich at idle. But they should all look the same, or very nearly so. Plus, be carful to tool long a center ceramic electrode, as the clearance from the center of the plug is very near the exhaust valve on some cylinders. I found when doing a compression check with my MAC tools compression tester, which comes with both a short and a long screw-in adaptor for the plug hole, that it can touch the exhaust valve. Also, military and civilian plugs need to be the correct "heat range' for their use, both for the keep the plug "clean" and to avoid detonation.

When I had my rebuilt by me engine further worked on by Charles Talbert's team, he told me that it is necessary to bolt the intake and exhaust manifold together, and then have their mating surface to the cylinder head machined to be sure the mating surfaces to the head are perfect. I had just bolted my two parts tougher. So perhaps your mating surface of the intake and exhaust manifolds do not perfectly fit the cylinder head, leading to some leakage. I found that even though these are ancient designs, and very simple, they have to be assembled with great care and precision.

Also, I use new copper washers every time I reinstall my plugs, I get them in packs from Jegs racing. I think the torque is 30 pounds or so.

NV
Will check for the correct spark! thanks for the advice.
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

RCrombie wrote:Just a thought that came to me reading this. I had a similar issue where the truck idled, drove nicely at slow speeds but would die on hills and couldn't get out of third gear on a flat road. Turned out to be a pinhole in the fuel line where it passed the transfer case cross member. There was enough dirt and crud there that there wasn't an apparent leak when it was sitting either.

Rob
Hey maybe I will have to check fuel pressure!
I thought it was ok because when I tested a bigger carb, it run worst and too rich. But I will test it back again now that I've found a blocked air passage last weekend. Hope that the issue was that air passage plus a small carb...
I think that, because the carb I have today didn´t run better with the passage clear so this makes me think I still have to give it more fuel.

I will let you know next time.

For sure 35mph is too slow compared to 55

Thanks all again!
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

Hello guys! no news yet...

I have cleaned a blocked air passage and the bigger carb configuration works just the same as the smaller one.. so it seems that there is another issue.
I have removed the exhaust silencer suspecting it to be plugged but didn't change.
I still have to check the distributor if there is an issue at high RPM. I still have a brake contacting the drum. Could not fix it from outside. But I suspect the issue is not that. I don't feel the engine is producing power, it´s like it can´t breath air with fuel!!

You can go at 4th gear from close to idle you feel the torque and it can rev up slowly but it won't go as higher in RPM like it does in 3rd.
Will keep testing!!
RandyB

Post by RandyB »

Did Signsup ever figure out what was wrong? I'm just curious, what was the solution?
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

Hey Randy! thanks for your question!!
Unfortunatelly I have to say that there are no news yet... :cry: :cry:

I fixed the dragging brake paths on 2 different wheels so all of them turns free and the truck reaches 42 mph from the 37, way too far from 55.

I still have to check for fuel pressure I believe is not the issue but at this point, I have to confirm it.
I still have to check for the distributor integrity. (timming it's ok at iddle but not sure at top RPM)
I "feel" by just hearing that top rpm are fine but you know... 4th gear is so long that 100 RPM might be enough to reach 55 mph.

Once I fix this issue (if ever) I will start restoration!!!! Painting and details!!!
RandyB

Post by RandyB »

Vit16, I was asking about the OP.
signsup
PVT
PVT

Post by signsup »

Yes, I have been remiss in my reporting back. After much, time and effort and some parts replaced, I still had spark and gas, but not firing at all. So, I was headed down the remove the head and look at the valves and head gasket. But, I thought of another club member who had a Dodge WC56 and asked him if he worked on his own engine or had someone do it for him and he referred me to an old school shade tree mechanic who listened to my lament over the phone and asked me to do a compression test which I did and had some very low numbers and a few cylinders with extremely low numbers. He asked if this engine had been sitting and I told him it had prior to my owning it, but it started and idled and ran up and down the driveway during restoration until this issue.

He told me to replace the spark plugs and put some MMO in each cylinder and bump the starter every day for a week or so. Which I did. Did another round of dry and wet compression tests and got number in the 90 to 110 per cylinder range and very even up and down the block. Put in the new plugs and it started right up and has run well ever since, including a recent 4th of July parade.

His reasoning was that during a long sitting, years or so, the rings will compress and not release and the poor compression was causing me to not get sxplosions in each cylinder, everything was working, but not enough compression. Had nothing to do with TDC. After soaking in MMO and bumping the pisons up and down the cylinder walls every day to a new position, they eventually worked free and provided enough compression to fire and run. And, they will stay this way as long as I keep the engine turning and not sitting for years, which I do not plan on doing.

So, it is alive and well.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

That is great news!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
RandyB

Post by RandyB »

You gotta love the old timers, good to hear it's back on the road!
vit16
CPL
CPL

Post by vit16 »

Hey very good news signsup!!

RandyB wrote:Vit16, I was asking about the OP.
oo ps!! heheh didn't read it :roll::oops:
Last edited by vit16 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.