Strange M37 Hard tops!??

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NightOwl

Strange M37 Hard tops!??

Post by NightOwl »

Hello guys, I've been eves-dropping for well over a decade.

So here is my question on both a Dodge M37 and a Kaiser Jeep M715 I've seen a really cool hardtop. i can find absolutely NOTHING about them... here is the only known M37 Ive seen with this top and the only 2 known I've ever found on M715's...

NOTE: These are both the same tops... Really awesome hard-tops.. they both have these rounded corner rectangle windows... some sort of round base mounting point for lights.. These are like ghosts I can't find anything out about them for our M37's or the M715 for reference. I heard a rumor that they were called "helmet tops" for you could wear a helmet with them.

Any idea who made these babies? Aside from these I always loved the nostalgia of the early tops with round window if you can find them.

Thanks again guys,

NightOwl
Oregon
Attachments
1968-Jeep-Military-Gladiator-pickup-truck-1.jpg
1968-Jeep-Military-Gladiator-pickup-truck-1.jpg (161.15 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
020.jpg
020.jpg (15.24 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
004.jpg
004.jpg (11.88 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Strange M37 Hard tops!??

Post by NAM VET »

I don't know anything about tops, mine had a homemade fiberglass one, which I sawed off in my restoration. That first pic of the 715 seems to have an oil leak. By the way, when I went into the army in the summer of '69 (cool song about the summer of '69), and then went to Germany that dec to the 3d ID, our division had lots of 715's. I was told the army intended the as an interim vehicle, so major spares were not available. So if something like a trans or the like went out, the whole truck was disposed of. My platoon had all 113's and a 114 for the CO. NV
NightOwl

Post by NightOwl »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.. wow, amazing, a tranny goes out, the entire vehicle would be scrapped? I know that song love it... Bryan Adams... he has tons of great songs classic 90s! (When I grew up) Interm vehicle? Like these will get us by until we gt a new or better vehicle? I love them both but the M37 were definitely cooler and more reliable. I think it would be cool to add a Detroit 353t silver to a M37.

Always LOVED the 113's! What were they like.?? Such a sweet ride.. Thanks again for your reply, appreciate it.

NightOwl
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

The real metal hardtops for the smaller trucks were listed under the heading 'Arctic Winterization Kit'.

The kit contained the hardtop, fuel burning heater, and various insulation among other bits.

My M37 hardtop is double wall, insulated, with a sliding glass window.

Most of the fiberglass tops I've seen were aftermarket sold by Memphis Equipment.

PrinceO'Weird
GWOTvet
PVT
PVT

Post by GWOTvet »

They look like these from boyceequipment.com. Same ribs on top and you can order them with the rounded corners rectangle window.

Here's the website since I can't seem to get the screenshot to upload: https://www.boyceequipment.com/fibergla ... to-7409589