Rear wheel bearings to be greased soon, any tips I should..

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Rear wheel bearings to be greased soon, any tips I should..

Post by Nickathome »

know about?

I understand the axle shafts must come out when the rear wheel bearings are worked on. Is there any difficulties with this that I should be aware of? I now know what to expect from the bearings and seals part of it, just never have had to deal with axle shafts. Any and all info appreciated. TIA.,
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Nick,
There is nothing to be concerned with out of the ordinary. Loosen and remove the nuts. Use the threaded holes with a bolt to break the gasket seal then slide the axle out with one hand while supporting the shaft with the other. Do this slowly, make sure not to let the end of the shaft drop on the floor. After that, the hubs are serviced just like the fronts. While re-installing the axles, keep the shaft centered the best possible in the axle housing and it should slide tight back in. Make sure the shafts are oiled up on reassembly, its easier on the seal lips. If I forgot anything I am sure the guys will add it.
Good luck and enjoy. I'll be sending you my latest truck update soon :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Rear bearings

Post by Nickathome »

David;

Thanks for the reply. One question, Do the shafts have to go into the exact position they came out of, or is this not critical?
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

I did punch mark the axle and hub when I did them. Although I do not know if it is necessary, since the splines are equally spaced on the shaft and will install in any position. I did it to conform to whatever wear pattern their might be :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Rear bearings

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Nickathome wrote:David;

Thanks for the reply. One question, Do the shafts have to go into the exact position they came out of, or is this not critical?
Shaft configuration makes no difference, anaerobic gasket maker applied to the outer seal & axle flanges does a better job sealing than using a paper gasket. We use sealer exclusively without paper gaskets at all.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:

Shaft configuration makes no difference, anaerobic gasket maker applied to the outer seal & axle flanges does a better job sealing than using a paper gasket. We use sealer exclusively without paper gaskets at all.
How about diff. gear oil? Do I need to drain the differential before doing this? Seems to me that pulling out an axle might cause gear oil to leak out. Or is this not so? Only asking because I have never done the rears before.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Nickathome wrote:
MSeriesRebuild wrote:

How about diff. gear oil? Do I need to drain the differential before doing this? Seems to me that pulling out an axle might cause gear oil to leak out. Or is this not so? Only asking because I have never done the rears before.
Draining oil isn't necessary.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Rick C
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Rick C »

I was always told to only pull one side at a time........
Not sure if it's and old wives tale..
Rick
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

Rick C wrote:I was always told to only pull one side at a time........
Not sure if it's and old wives tale..
Rick
Hmmnn... OK. I had only planned on doing one at a time but I'll keep this in mind.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

It makes no difference if you pull one shaft or both-if you were pulling the center chunk you'd have to pull both anyway so it won't hurt a thing pulling both.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
kc8sfq
PVT
PVT

Post by kc8sfq »

It makes no difference if you pull one shaft or both-if you were pulling the center chunk you'd have to pull both anyway so it won't hurt a thing pulling both.

Back in "the day" before I started my own business when I had both time AND money, I had a set of front hubs faced out to clear the axle seal nuts on the rear and used them in place of the axle shafts when I flat towed the M-37 behind my duce. I put many hundred miles on that way, and groused about the $.75 per gallon fuel. (fat chance of ever seeing that again)

The long way around to saying just what I quoted above.

Have fun with your "M"
No society in history has ever taxed it's way to prosperity.
peter e mark
SSGT
SSGT

Post by peter e mark »

Charles, What is anaerobic gasket maker?
1952 M37 W/W
Veteran of 82 ABN. Division Motor Pool 1969
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

peter e mark wrote:Charles, What is anaerobic gasket maker?
It was originally offered by Lock-Tite, but is now available from various sources. It's the best general gasket sealer/maker we've used here. Is the consistancy of grease coming from the tube, apply by rubbing it on with you finger. It doesn't cure in the presence of air like silicone RTV & similar products, but cures only after parts are assembled & it gets out of the presence of air. Does a super job of filling & leak free installations of pitted parts surfaces. Any excess that is squeezed out upon assembly can simply be wiped away even days later as it never cures as long as air is present. It can be used as a gasket dressing & in many cases without gaskets at all. It's a staple product in our shop & has enabled us to build many leak free components.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
peter e mark
SSGT
SSGT

Post by peter e mark »

Thank You, And I will get some for sure...
1952 M37 W/W
Veteran of 82 ABN. Division Motor Pool 1969
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Anerobic sealer.

Post by Nickathome »

Yes, I am going to have to look for some of that stuff myself. Sounds like it would be an assest in every toolbox.