Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

1962m37
PVT
PVT

Show me your paint jobs - I need to pick a color for my M37

Post by 1962m37 »

Hi all,

I am the recent owner of a 1962. Some of you have already given me mechanical advice and I appreciate it! Some history of my truck - it went to Vietnam and back, was sold to a state agency, then various private owners before coming to me. At one time the truck was red, which is visible with chipping paint in the cab. The interior cab is an OD green and the exterior is a brown. The previous owner had the wheels powder coated green and since there was significant cost to do it, I thought about matching the truck to the wheels. I thought about doing the bumpers, fenders and running boards in black and the rest of the truck in green, but am leaning towards the whole thing in green. The previous owner painted the truck with a paint brush and when spots would chip or peel, he'd just touch it up. There's only a couple spots where the paint is peeling, mostly the rear fenders, where there is surface rust and thick paint. Mostly the paint is just tired from being outdoors. I've been thinking of what I may do in the Spring to recoat the truck DIY. I'd love to see what others have done - both military and non military schemes.

I've also been heavily debating spraying the entire truck in Raptor Liner (bed liner). I've seen many trucks and one M37 done this way online, but never in person. Since I've never sprayed paint before and the paint and body isn't perfect this seems like it may be a good alternative as it is much more forgiving than paint. I can do the whole truck for around $300 in materials. Pros: seems much more forgiven for a first timer, will hide imperfections, it's durable and unique. Cons: not period correct and very permanent.

Please share your pictures (with paint brand, paint codes and sheen type!) and experiences. I'd love to see what others have done as I think about my options. I'm attaching some pictures of my truck as well as some paint jobs I found online (and one Land Rover in Raptor Liner).

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Show me your paint jobs - I need to pick a color for my

Post by NAM VET »

it is a good learning experience to paint your truck, one thing with the bed liner is that once on, it is on forever. With paint, if you get runs, you just sand it off and do it over again. NV
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Here's a lengthy thread about paint:
http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7906

...and an old shot of my M37 with still-wet Gillespie 24087 on the bed. It's not as brown as it looks in the photo.
Gary
Attachments
day two paint.JPG
day two paint.JPG (30.04 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

I vote (as an old AZ desert rat) Gillespie 24087, cut with Xylol.

Don't use mineral spirits, the finish will fade faster than spit on a griddle.

PoW
Dicktater
CPL
CPL

Post by Dicktater »

Here's my 53 painted Cat yellow and black. I have much more money in 2k primer/sealer than in paint.
I did this 20 years ago and it held up very well, it gets lot's of attention where ever we go.

Welcome to the Forum!

investig8
CPL
CPL

Post by investig8 »

I used MESA GRAY in an acrylic enamel. My decision was based on the color I wanted and price. Hope this helps you make your decision.
Dennis
Attachments
IMG_0492.jpg
IMG_0492.jpg (109.34 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0435.jpg (77.61 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Investig8
1953 M-37
1952 M-38
superbee70
PFC
PFC

Post by superbee70 »

I painted my old truck and jeep with OD sand Rapco paint. Looks great, holds up well and super easy to touchup. Also didn't bother with 2 tone bits and pieces, for me doesn't match with the military look and just adds extra work. For ongoing project plan to do the same. The spray cans spray surprisingly well. All depends on what you are looking for as far as finish.

I would stay away from raptor or any other textured finish. Hard to keep clean, rough, fades...i used herculiner on jeep tub interior. worked great for that but would have to have on exterior surface. Plus once you get a section of rust or bubling underneath you would need to strip before repairing. don't think that product is a good fit with the way the seams of the M37 are prone to rust.

As an aside you may find you have some metal repairs when you get into your rear fenders.
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

I used Gillespie AJP Color from Army Jeep Parts and Reduced it with Xylene.

paint.jpg
paint.jpg (161.73 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416