wired primer switch for electric fuel pump

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

wired primer switch for electric fuel pump

Post by NAM VET »

My truck has a 24v Facet fuel pump, and when Charles T had my truck up at his shop two years ago, he made it safer in case of a mishap, by wiring the pump to my oil pressure, so if my engine quits, the fuel pump has no power. He wired my starter so when my engine is cranking, with no oil pressure yet, it still is sending volts to my fuel pump. He mentioned in a old post that he sometimes adds a separate circuit so a driver can prime the carb/lines/filter without extended cranking after an extended time dormant.

My truck will fire near instantly if it has been driven in the past 3 or 4 days, but much longer than that, fuel has drained from the lines and I have to crank the starter unnecessarily long to get the carb filled.

So I wired in a separate fused 24v line to a dash switch, spliced into the main fuel pump wires, but for some reason it would short out one of the two fused lines if I switched on the prime with the starter pump switch on, or primed with the starter circuit active. I guess some common ground, or something I couldn't figure out to work around, being very challenged when it comes to auto electrical circuits.

Keeping my safety "no oil pressure:no fuel pumping" I changed my "prime" circuit to a momentary on (ie, hold up the switch, it flips off when released) dash switch. Now, I can turn off the starter's circuit, and hold up the prime switch to fill the lines/filter/carb, release it, then turn on the starter circuit, and my truck starts promptly. I added two small dash labels, and then put an aircraft flip protector on the prime switch, to reduce the likelihood of some one (me?) accidentally having both switches on, and burning out a 7.5 amp fuse.

Seems to work fine. Here is a pic: NV

[url=https://postimg.cc/Xp5mwVRt][img]h ... .jpg[/img][/url]