Interest in centered rear axle housings

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Interest in centered rear axle housings

Post by Kaegi »

I don't work in the old car and truck world full time anymore but my friend does and he is tooling up to make axle housing modifications. We discussed tooling up to center M37 housings. We would provide a centered housing, Tcase yoke, and axles, gaskets etc. I offroaded WC 3/4 ton Dodges for a few decades and have well over 200K miles of driving them on and off road. Most were modified 230s with big cams and shaved heads, jetted carb etc. one had a v8 back when I was a 20 something lead foot. Never broke one axle front or rear in any of them. I have broken a couple offset axles in flat fender power wagons. I have read about many axles breaking in M37s like the PWs. The centered set up is just much stronger. We would keep the price reasonable.
Power wagons can bolt in a WC 3/4 ton centered rear but there is no such option for M37s that I have heard of. We will have to make some custom pieces for the jig so trying to get an idea if worth the investment.

Steve
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Interest in centered rear axle housings

Post by ashyers »

Steve,
A friend of mine purchased a stock spare rear axle housing and is flipping it to run off the other side of the T-case. At first it sounds nuts, but it actually makes some sense. I have not seen the finished product yet, but knowing him it will be very nice. What are you guys planning to do for housings?

Andy
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

Andy, I could see why he wants to move it to the other side to reduce noise a bit but that wont strengthen the axles. we will be modifying M37 axle housings. it will be an exchange deal should we move forward.

Steve
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

no one? we have figured price will be around 850 exchange for the kit. that would be with NOS WW2 axle shafts. We might offer an custom axle for those with ARB where fine spline carrier can be put in. that would cost a bit more
We figure the price has to be the same or less than switching to a different axle assembly. The 9 5/8 with centered axles is incredibly strong. The 9 5/8' pinion arrangement is twice as strong as a Spicer 70 pinion.
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

Are the old centered axles hard to get now? I have read several articles about swapping the axle assembly from an older centered axle truck. 850 seems to be a reasonable price for the work, I would like to see what a finished housing would look like.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

06boblee wrote:Are the old centered axles hard to get now? I have read several articles about swapping the axle assembly from an older centered axle truck. 850 seems to be a reasonable price for the work, I would like to see what a finished housing would look like.
the centered housings are not too hard to find but like I mentioned above they don't fit m37s. M37s run a narrower track width than WCs and PWs. Also the spring perches are off. I think that's why you never see it done on M37s. Having a wider rear than front would look funny and might cause a handling issue.
With our mod when its done you wouldn't be able to tell. We will sleeve the inside of the housing and weld by multiple passes then grind down flush.
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

Kaegi wrote:
06boblee wrote:Are the old centered axles hard to get now? I have read several articles about swapping the axle assembly from an older centered axle truck. 850 seems to be a reasonable price for the work, I would like to see what a finished housing would look like.
the centered housings are not too hard to find but like I mentioned above they don't fit m37s. M37s run a narrower track width than WCs and PWs. Also the spring perches are off. I think that's why you never see it done on M37s. Having a wider rear than front would look funny and might cause a handling issue.
With our mod when its done you wouldn't be able to tell. We will sleeve the inside of the housing and weld by multiple passes then grind down flush.
Are centered shafts easy to get (for spares)?
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

06boblee wrote:
Kaegi wrote:
Are centered shafts easy to get (for spares)?
yes we will be using NOS ww2 shafts. They are inexpensive and inventory is good. Inventory is good because no one ever breaks them. In 35 years since i bought my first WC54 I have only heard of one guy breaking a center rear axle shaft. It is on a 360 powered trail rig with fully locked (welded I think) rear diff. it gets off roaded hard down in Texas. so you would probably never need one.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

another axle shaft possibility is we may have fine spline axles made and offer them for those running arb or other lockers where the side gears can be changed to fine spline in those carriers. that set up would cost a bit more but not much
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

So, I would have to ship to you my rear axle assembly (or maybe just the housing) and then you go to work? Or do you have a supply of housings to modify, send it to me and I send my housing (core) to you?
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

06boblee wrote:So, I would have to ship to you my rear axle assembly (or maybe just the housing) and then you go to work? Or do you have a supply of housings to modify, send it to me and I send my housing (core) to you?
we would have one done and arrange the exchange. that way less down time for you.