Can anyone ID the devices on the grill of this truck?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

808morgan
CPL
CPL

Can anyone ID the devices on the grill of this truck?

Post by 808morgan »

korea thumbnail_2020-10-23 13-59 2.jpg
korea thumbnail_2020-10-23 13-59 2.jpg (241.28 KiB) Viewed 964 times
I just bought some original photos from a guy on Ebay and it seems this guy was stationed in Italy during the Korean War.

And as always check on my page for new pictures. I have been buying as many real photos as I can since you know those won't be anywhere else online. I'm trying to create a pretty large collection of Korea and Vietnam pictures:

https://g741.tumblr.com/archive
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Can anyone ID the devices on the grill of this truck?

Post by just me »

Look like speakers. Just minus the outer bell. Be less directional this way..
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

just me wrote:Look like speakers. Just minus the outer bell. Be less directional this way..
Yeah we were also thinking some kind of speaker, but why in Italy? I have been finding a lot of pictures with some interesting things. And what is the TRUST?
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

maybe sirens? HC
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Speakers or a Siren maybe?

Here is what TRUST was per Wikipedia. Since the truck is marked TRUST 351-I I just googled that and found this.

"The 351st Infantry was relieved from assignment to the division on 1 May 1947 and served as temporary military Government of the Free Territory of Trieste, securing the new independent State between Italy and Yugoslavia on behalf of the United Nations Security Council. Designated TRUST (Trieste United States Troops), the command served as the front line in the Cold War from 1947 to 1954, including confrontations with Yugoslavian forces. In October 1954 the mission ended upon the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding of London establishing a temporary civil administration in the Anglo-American Zone of the Free Territory of Trieste, entrusted to the responsibility of the Italian Government. TRUST units, which included a number of 88th divisional support units, all bore a unit patch which was the coat of arms of the Free Territory of Trieste superimposed over the divisional quatrefoil, over which was a blue scroll containing the designation "TRUST" in white."

The section that TRUST troops where in was called Zone A and was absorbed into Italy in 1954 and Zone B was absorbed into Yugoslavia which today is part Slovenia and Croatia.

Funny what you can learn on this here internet thing...LOL!
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

Wow thanks, I was a bit busy getting a new job to really look into it. I will add that to the picture in my tumblr page post. I have learned a lot about Korea and Vietnam hunting photos but it has never gone over to that region for M37s until now. Yeah maybe they had some emergency system on it, I have worked on shows for years and making a speaker non directional would suggest that maybe. Thanks again!

k8icu wrote:Speakers or a Siren maybe?

Here is what TRUST was per Wikipedia. Since the truck is marked TRUST 351-I I just googled that and found this.

"The 351st Infantry was relieved from assignment to the division on 1 May 1947 and served as temporary military Government of the Free Territory of Trieste, securing the new independent State between Italy and Yugoslavia on behalf of the United Nations Security Council. Designated TRUST (Trieste United States Troops), the command served as the front line in the Cold War from 1947 to 1954, including confrontations with Yugoslavian forces. In October 1954 the mission ended upon the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding of London establishing a temporary civil administration in the Anglo-American Zone of the Free Territory of Trieste, entrusted to the responsibility of the Italian Government. TRUST units, which included a number of 88th divisional support units, all bore a unit patch which was the coat of arms of the Free Territory of Trieste superimposed over the divisional quatrefoil, over which was a blue scroll containing the designation "TRUST" in white."

The section that TRUST troops where in was called Zone A and was absorbed into Italy in 1954 and Zone B was absorbed into Yugoslavia which today is part Slovenia and Croatia.

Funny what you can learn on this here internet thing...LOL!
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

NAM VET wrote:maybe sirens? HC

Yeah I seems like it, K8ICU hunted down the TRUST bumper markings and they may have needed some kind of siren.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

Looking at a pic of a New M 37, no doubt with all clean and not rusted bolts and screws, I was thinking that it must have been easy to work on them back then,. I just replaced my drivers windshield, bought it months ago, just got around to replacing my de-laminated and scratched one. Looked at my TM says, "then remove windshield."

Yeah, right. It is a Korean manufacture, I think, so the threads are metric, not a problem. But pulling my old screen out to the side was a chore, as the hinge had some rust, so I eventually climbed up on the hood and pulled and wiggled it out. Then went to replace the old upper hinge, the one bolted/screwed to the top of the frame, and all those small screws are rusted too tight to get out. So greased up my new windshield "hinge" and pushed it into the "old" upper hinge. Then found that the rubber surround was put in backwards, so I couldn't pull the new 'screen tight enough too lock  Pulled it out, and then using a small flat blade, went around the rubber and pushed it into the track, again, climbing up on the hood to do so. A few minor adjustments, and it seems to be all good now. But what should have been a 15 maneuver to replace it took about an hour, with my wife called me repeatedly to fill some animal holes in the back yard.

Back when these trucks were relatively new, I suspect mechanics and drivers just didn't have to fret about rusty fasteners. Probably didn't need to keep Ezee out's in their tool boxes.

Stay safe, and all the best guys.... HC
RCrombie
CPL
CPL

Post by RCrombie »

That made me chuckle, thinking about all the simple jobs I have attempted on the truck only to have it turn into a big battle with rusty bolts and worn out parts. I think the rule of thumb is “beware of jobs that should be easy”... because they rarely are!