Just got a parts truck. Is it to good to disassemble?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

M37Jon

Just got a parts truck. Is it to good to disassemble?

Post by M37Jon »

Morning everyone,

I recently purchased a 1953 Air Force M37 as a parts truck. It has been sitting behind a friends house for about 30 years. My plan was to pull a bunch of parts to keep as spares for my primary M37, and sell or scrap what ever was left. After I cleaned up the truck and got a good look at it I am staring to question my plan. The engine is shot, and the bed floor is nearly rusted away, but other than that it is complete and really solid. I don't have room to keep it, and am not really interested in starting another restoration. Once I take all the parts I want (manifolds, 3rd members, hard top, tailgate, t-case, ect.) there won't be much left. It would be really nice to have all these parts on hand for my other truck. Should I sell it whole or pull the parts?
Murf
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Just got a parts truck. Is it to good to disassemble?

Post by Murf »

Really depends upon how long you want to mess with it. If you are taking the majority of useable parts I would suspect that you may be sitting on it for quite a while. Solid body parts at a decent price are a safe bet to unload.
If it were me, I would take what I need and what I think I might need in the future and offer the rest to this community real cheap, (no I'm not looking for another rolling pile) :D . If I got no interest I would offer it for free. If there was still no interest, I guess I would scrap it :cry:
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

I have two trucks just like yours that a friend and I pulled out of a ravine years ago. They were abandoned and the County wanted them gone as they were close to a stream and might cause pollution! (Those evil trucks!)

I have been pulling parts off, saving some and selling some. They are just about to the point that nothing useful is left. It's either too rusty or no one wants those parts. Since these two have no title I can't scrap them do to the local laws. (Thanks metal thieves.) So they will just sit there until they rot away.
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

I sold some scrap vehicles by cutting them into smaller pieces,small enough to carry,
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

^^This. Most scrap yards will take any steel you can carry.

However, they aren't making these trucks anymore.

I'm sad to think back to all of 'em I cut up for parts. :cry:

PoW