6.5L GM Diesel Repower Questions

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

WBenson

6.5L GM Diesel Repower Questions

Post by WBenson »

Files this under "Oh Jeeze, not another one..."

I have an M-37... I also have a GM 6.5L turbo diesel engine... I should like to combine the two, but my experience in this sort of work is non-existent, so I would like to hear the community's thoughts, concerns, recommendations, etc...

Snarkiness is fun, but I do need useful information as well.

Thanks much!

Bill
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Re: 6.5L GM Diesel Repower Questions

Post by k8icu »

You will need to do a few things to make the GM diesel fit. First you will have to get motor mounts made to fit the frame or get the frame horn mounts from a GM truck and adapt those. Also the passenger side mount turbo (unless you have the HMMWV or Van version) will run into the passenger side fender and you will need to modify the fender in order for it to fit. This includes the inner splash shield as well. Also is you have the side mount truck turbo the exhaust manifold on the drivers side may be an issue because it kicks out away from the block and it goes into the frame making hooking up the crossover pipe impossible. The HMMWV or Van rear mount turbo works better, but may run into the fire wall which then has to be modified. Then you will need to either have another transmission or get adapters to hook from the GM block to the dodge transmission, plus a flywheel and clutch set up. It can be done. I'm in the process of fitting one into my project truck but it's a lot of figuring out as there are not "kits" for a quick drop in.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

Finally a post where I feel I can contribute!!!
Some of the old members may remember me, I've been a member for way more time than I would like to remember.
Built my truck in the '90s and It was my daily driver till December 2011 that in a hot summer day (over 100 that day). I decided I wanted a/c and radio so I bought a '10 RAM 2500HD w/ 5.9 Cummins Diesel.
I think that was the day I became old.

My truck is a '51 M37 repowered with a GM 6.2l Diesel V8, Spicer 3053A tranny, Dana 60 front and centered Dana 70 rear, Np200 T/case. I've clocked more than 160K miles after the repower. Power Steering and Front disc conversion were mandatory.

I used to have a '63 M43 equally repowered but with OEM axles, that I've sold to a friend 10 years ago.

I am ready to do a re-repower on my truck, I've just put together a 6.5TD w/ mechanical Fuel injection and ZF 5S42 transmission and Atlas 4 Speed Transfer case.

Although I haven't started yet, I've noted the Turbo interference issue K8ICU describes and I've been thinking of relocating the turbo with a set of custom headers up on the valley, farther front than HMMWV or Van setups. I think I would set the engine block in place and put the fenders on first to check this up.

The 6.2, though it's not a powerhouse, it was good enough to take the truck to 95mph (not comfortable at all) and drive all day long @ interstates speeds cruising comfortable at 75mph.

Good to read there are a couple of members going this route.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

This Page http://www.leathernaturally.com/m37projectpagethree.htm and this page http://www.leathernaturally.com/m37projectpagefour.htm will show the side truck turbo issues in the M37. I have a few more pics but they are on my phone and I don't have the time to upload them right now. Maybe when the dead of winter hits I can work on that...LOL
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

Juan wrote:decided I wanted a/c and radio so I bought a '10 RAM 2500HD w/ 5.9 Cummins Diesel.
Juan wrote:I think that was the day I became old.
:lol: :lol: I got a 95 2500 Cummings with ac this past summer and ya it made me feel old. had the 37 out maybe twice .... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
.............................. use it ...............
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Been a long time Juan, thanks for weighing in!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500