Car lift

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

greeno
SGT
SGT

Car lift

Post by greeno »

I’m just wrapping up the build of my workshop and am starting to think about a car hoist.

What are people running out there? I see you can get really cheap 9000lb lifts on the internet, but I’m not sure I trust them.

Would a ramp-style be better than the arm style?

I went with scissor trusses in my garage so I have 14’ headroom in the middle, 10’ at the walls.
Last edited by T. Highway on Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved to appropriate area
M37
YEAR: 1954
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Car lift

Post by ashyers »

I'd go with a 2 post surface mount lift, just make sure you have enough concrete in the floor to support it properly. As far as "cheap" lifts, if it were me and I was on a budget I'd buy a well maintained good quality used lift over a new lift that I doubted the quality on.

Check out:
https://www.autolift.org/

They have lots of info. that's not sales based.
outpostm37
CPL
CPL

Post by outpostm37 »

I bought the 4 post Bendpak 9000lb lift. These lifts have the option of castors so you can lift/lower a vehicle on the lift, disconnect the power and air supply, and move the vehicle on the lift, push it sideways or wherever in the garage. Also you can put a vehicle on the lift, raise the vehicle, and park an additional vehicle underneath. Each lift type has its limitations. The two post must be bolted to the ground and arms that position to the lift points of the vehicle. The four post lifts are more secure with the weight, the vehicle driving up onto the rails. Your call on what you want.
Attachments
M37 on lift in garage.jpg
M37 on lift in garage.jpg (116.05 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

My son, in Columbia, SC, has a second garage. The forum owner had a dueli pick up and an off shore boat, so it is tall and deep. Several years ago, someone in his neighborhood was moving, so Chris had his four post lift installed. Really handy for parking his Alfa 4C underneath, and really handy for getting under our cars and my truck when we want to check things or pull maintenance on our vehicles. It is easy to drive on or off. He tells me having the wheel ramps is really handy for a place to put tools and such when working under the vehicles. And to put a car up to comfortable height for waxing the flanks of the car, or cleaning the wheels. It would be handy to be able to easily remove wheels with a side post lift, but with a four post, no need to swing out and precisely place side lift bars.

I think if a main purpose is to raise a car to add parking place, then a four post is most handy. If for full access service, a two post would be most useable.

Wish my son wasn't 70 mies from my home. Hal Copple