Painting camo?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

steved
CPL
CPL

Painting camo?

Post by steved »

Ok, I'm looking to paint a truck woodland camo, likely a three color pattern, with some fourth thrown in the mix. This is happening a little sooner than I expected, so I've bought the paint (Aervoe), probably start cutting it in as I reassemble and then get the rest of the truck into primer shortly thereafter, pick a base color shortly after.

I've found some patterns for the three pattern camo, easy enough to download and print off as a guide. But other than completely free handing this effort, how would you stencil it out ahead of time? I'm assuming pencil will cause lines because of a lack of adhesion?

It doesn't have to be perfect, the truck looks like it was beat with an ugly stick. But I want the pattern to be consistent overall? Tips? Ideas?
Cal_Gary

Re: Painting camo?

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Steve,
As I recall there was no set camo pattern for the M37. The Ahl resto guide advises that the instruction was to use the M715 camo pattern. Our M201 had this pattern and looked good (sorry no pix, that was in 1977 but I recall it in vivid detail). Most units traced the pattern out in chalk before painting.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Use a projector and project the pattern. Mask the colors and paint.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

CHALK!

That's what I was missing! I don't really have access to a projector, so it will have to be free handing with chalk from a pattern.

Thanks again!
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Just don't forget to sneak in an FTA somewhere.
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

FTA, do enlighten me?

I'm actually not working on an M37, sold that several months back. I bought a 90 w250 Cummins and my 11yo daughter wants to paint it woodland camo. I figured this would be a good place to ask about getting it right.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Look up m880 Mitchell pattern then. The pattern is available online. FTA was a thing soldiers would attempt to sneak into the paint scheme somewhere without getting caught. F The Army.
steved
CPL
CPL

Post by steved »

Ah, gotcha.

I was using that m880 template since it is really close to the 90 truck.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Snuck it other places too. At Fort Ord, some guys climbed up on the old wooden barracks roof and painted one up there in 8-foot letters that nobody saw for months until a Huey happened over it one day-talk about hell to pay by the battalion Sergeant Major!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

If you are going to do the 4 color camo pattern then use the M880 pattern. If you want the 3 color NATO pattern use the CUCV (M1008) pattern. I took the CUCV pattern and worked it out for the M37 for a 3 color NATO pattern. The only problem is I have to find the flash drive it is on...lol!
M37s are HMMWV in my world!