Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

My Father

Post by HingsingM37 »

Hello Friends,
It is with great sadness that I must report on the passing of my father Benjamin after a long bout with congestive heart failure and pneumonia. :cry: He was 89 and in 1939 survived a crash in a Dodge command car he was driving(See SNAFU in Issue 121,June 2007 of MV Magaziine)sustaining injuries which prevented him from re-enlisting in 1941. We have lost another of the "Greatest Generation". I found some really cool pics of his pre-WWII Army days. They were still using mule-drawn artillery in 1938!
His unit was one of the first to test the Dodge troop trucks on a convoy drive from Ft. Knox to Alabama. I remember him telling me they all came from the factory excessivley toed in, and half of the front tires were worn away by the time they arrived in AL.
I was hoping to have enough of my M37 finished to give him a ride for his 90th birthday this Sept. I have been frantically working since 05 to accomplish this and I came darn close. I will honor him when it is finished by researching his 5th Division US Army unit markings for my trucks insignia. I plan to use my trucks year and Dad's birthdate for my hood numbers 58-091618. :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
overton
PVT
PVT

Thoughts

Post by overton »

Our thoughts are with you. Lost my Dad (who would be 93) back in 1989 at the age of 74. He was on a destroyer in the Pacific during WW2. Celebrate the fact that you and your Dad got to spend many great years together and hang in there.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

I lost my dad in 1997, also at age 89. He was a world war II vet.
You have my condolences.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

My condolences, as well! My dad was in the Navy during WWII and served in both the North Atlantic and Pacific fleets. He was in for 16 years and planned to retire, but an anchor chain broke and whipped across his ankle. It healed, eventually, but it healed crooked so he ended up with a medical discharge (and no pension). He passed away 9 years ago at the age of 85. I well remember his war stories. He had a couple of "horror stories" in his repertoire, but he was one of those guys who could see the funny side of any situation. Most of his stories were either hilarious or the kind that "can't be told in mixed company."
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Post by Nickathome »

Please accept my condolences on your father's passing.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Truly sorry to hear of your loss, David, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and the playing of "Taps" enters my mind. Another of the Greatest Generation laid to rest. "Present... Arms!"
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

What Gary Said

Post by m-37Bruce »

David, I am sad for your loss, my Pops went in '02, he was a Merchant Marine, Chief Electrician, aka; SPARKY. Hardly a day goes by that I'm not reminded of him by something or someone. Hopefully our children will have the same issues when it's our turn?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Thank you all for your kind words. :) It was a long day today. Funeral Home, church, flower shopping ect. My mom is holding up well so far.
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

Sorry for your loss. My dad passed away in 94. He had built Liberty Ships and baby aircraft carriers for Kaiser at Vancouver WA during the war.
My family had a very good friend that I had purchased a CCKW from. I was hopeing to get it restored before his passing. But I did not make it.
Went to an air show last week end, only talked to 2 WWII vets. These guys are passing fast.
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy