New member - 1952 M37

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

murano3
PFC
PFC

Re: New member - 1952 M37

Post by murano3 »

Cal_Gary wrote:Nice batch of accessories, too-well done!
Gary
Thank you - can't see it, but I have two 1969 dated US mail sacks that I store the roof canvas in, in the back

I am actually a reenactor so have a comprehensive collection of Vietnam period US equipment, I will be doing a full display in August at the local Tank Museum. The display will be my US Small General Purpose Tent plus my gun racks - I have deactivated M16's, M60, AK's, M1 Carbine plus assorted munitions such as mortars, claymores ... then ruck sacks .. you get the picture :)
Ben Connor
1952 M37 80026073
United Kingdom
http://www.afvn.co.uk
murano3
PFC
PFC

Post by murano3 »

Prior to the M37, this M274A4 was my ride

Ben Connor
1952 M37 80026073
United Kingdom
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I'll bet that fit in the garage a lot better and also was much easier to maneuver into the garage! :roll:
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
murano3
PFC
PFC

Post by murano3 »

rickf wrote:I'll bet that fit in the garage a lot better and also was much easier to maneuver into the garage! :roll:
Oh yes, that is very true
Ben Connor
1952 M37 80026073
United Kingdom
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

That's great stuff Ben-well done! I too, have obtained some period-correct do-dads from my Ft Ord Days: Motor Pool key tag (ironically stamped # 147 vs 741); matchbook covers, and I even found a duplicate GE AM portable radio-the same one I carried quietly in my steel pot while on guard duty to help pass the overnight hours-even the Staff Duty Officer who had me standing at attention reciting my general orders couldn't see or hear it!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
murano3
PFC
PFC

Post by murano3 »

Gary, superb details. Like the radio :)

So, Weekly update

Only scuttle and rear quarter in need of first coat of new colour. Pic is showing paint wet, it dries very nice and uniform. I will apply another layer of paint one evening this week then leave it for a few weeks before adding the stars back.
For interest, I used a single can for the bonnet, wing, front quarter and door.

Ben Connor
1952 M37 80026073
United Kingdom
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Looks great!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
murano3
PFC
PFC

Post by murano3 »

No much to report apart from trying to resolve an annoying fuel leak - when I turn the truck off I get a dribble of fuel for a moment from the small overflow pipe on the filler pipe. I have repositioned and tighted the clamp but just can't stop it - new hose and a better design of clamp are incoming.

A supply issue I am having is finding the corresponding copper pipe and ends to connect to my new fuel pump. I bought a complete pump from Military Midwest, John then sent me seperately the four inverted flare 90 degree connectors, but I cannot find for love nor money the corresponding inverted flare adaptors to connect the pipe here in the UK - someone previously has removed the copper pipes for the wipers and connected the wipers to the manifold.

I need to reinstall the pipe from the manifold down to the new fuel pump vacuum input, then the output back up to the wiper pipe as I don't want to leave the vacuum part of the fuel pump sucking in dirt and crap. The current fuel pump doesn't have the vacuum functionalilty - appears to be off an older vehicle.

Paint wise, truck is now externally finished. Just waiting to apply the Stars to doors. Then finish cab paint, then start on rear bed.
Ben Connor
1952 M37 80026073
United Kingdom
murano3
PFC
PFC

Post by murano3 »

Not much progress this week - weather bad and been busy

Last exterior panel prepped - bit more sanding, then paint.

New relectors bringing new life - now to apply 'do not overfill'

Added 16 inch star but realised that it was too low - so after this pic was taken, star was sanded out and door resprayed ready for 20 inch star located in correct middle position

Bonnet now ready for side stencils and 20 inch star

Ben Connor
1952 M37 80026073
United Kingdom
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Making some great progress Ben!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
murano3
PFC
PFC

Post by murano3 »

Weekend jobs, finish scuttle, repaint dash

Going to do instrument panel once my new gauges arrive.

Ben Connor
1952 M37 80026073
United Kingdom
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Looks great Ben! I remember doing my dash, slathering stripper all over it to remove the majority of the multiple coats of paint, then going to flapper wheels to remove the toughest stuff. Once smooth, primered and painted it looks like new to this day. However, I like the weathered patina of the exterior so I left it alone for the most part.

What's next for your project?
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
murano3
PFC
PFC

Post by murano3 »

I am so glad my dash only required a light sanding.

Today ordered an assortment of copper pipe connectors so I can remake the vacuum pipes so I can fit my fuel pump.
I also have incoming the smaller vent pipe as for love nor money have I managed to stop the small leak it has (After running truck for a few minutes I get a drip of fuel - I have replaced the clips multiple times with varying types and varying sizes - so either a hole in pipe Or hole in the metal of the pipe.
The other job alluding me, I cannot remove the rear diff filler plug, 1, completely stuck, 2, I cannot find a tool in my arsenal that I can actually get on it to apply some leverage so I am going to take it to a local garage so they can try with the truck in the air (but cannot use heat until I have fixed the fuel leak)

Job list

1. Finish Cab
2. Recover drivers seat
3. Paint inside rear bed and all wood work, replace the odd piece that is too far gone.
4. Fit safety belts
5. Clean and paint underside
6. Add all stencils
7. Clean and paint engine and engine bay
8. Paint instrument panel whilst replacing gauges
9. Replace all wheel brake cylinders and master with new / refurb so that I know I have a good start point
10. Fit my new window / weather rubbers
11. Fit my new spark leads
12. Fit my new spark plugs
13. Change oil in diffs, transfer case and gearbox

Snag list in full

1. Make Pilot light work / add buzzer to indicator - pilot is connected to P on relay but just doesn't flash
2. Fit new fuel sender, fuel gauge and wiring
3. Fit new water temp gauge, if neccessary get new sender and replace current wiring
4. Replace voltage regulator with new one I have spare and fit new volt gauge.
5. Get Diff oil filler out and replaced with new set of filler plugs I have. As mentioned above
6. Fit new fuel pump and replace the missing vacuum pipes as they have been removed at some point.
7. Replace vent pipe with new as mentioned above.
Ben Connor
1952 M37 80026073
United Kingdom
murano3
PFC
PFC

Post by murano3 »

Just discovered why I have fuel leak, hole in metal return pipe. Will try some liquid metal, failing that will order new filler neck.

update - it appears that my fuel cap was a NON Valve type and there is definitely a hole somewhere within the diaphram of my current fuel pump - these together has resulted in the situation where on turn off I appear to get a rush of 'dirty' fuel spraying out of the tiny hole. Luckily I haven't used the truck for more than a few minutes and the oil doesn't as yet smell of petrol - Either way, once the copper connectors arrive I will swap out the Fuel Pump and change the Oil - will apply liquid metal to the hole on the filler neck as a temp solution whilst I source a replacement filler neck - I am expecting the return of fuel to stop now I have a venting cap fitted and hopefully the new fuel pump fitted within the next 24 hours.
Ben Connor
1952 M37 80026073
United Kingdom
murano3
PFC
PFC

Post by murano3 »

So, weekend progress. Fuel Pump changed and temporary vacuum pipes fitted for wipers.

Time - 15 minutes ( I had prepared my copper pipes whilst watching TV

One of the issues I had been suffering was that when turned off the truck; I would get a trickle of a oily petrol from the overflow pipe of the fuel tank - so can only assume that whatever was wrong with my old fuel pump resulted in that. I did find a small hole in the pipe which I will repair with liquid metal but more importantly since the new pump went in, no weird fuel mix or leak from tank. I can confirm that NO petrol has gone into the oil at any point.

Next stage, I sourced new copper pipe for the fuel pump to carb and will direct the pipe away from the heat whilst adding a fire sleeve. I will also reroute the pump to wiper copper pipe to follow near it's original route. Once the old late WW2 fuel pump makes it back to MidwestMilitary I will get John to send me the correct heat shield which I will cover with heat reflecting wrap.

Wet patches around plugs is sea foam, soaking ready to replace.

Temp rubber pipe connection to wiper pipe and manifold correctly connected to input on vacuum section of fuel pump

Will be painting engine bay and restoring the exteriors of the air filter, oil reservior and the generator - really going to dress the whole engine.
Ben Connor
1952 M37 80026073
United Kingdom