having problems getting my M37 registered in Texas

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

kjoplin

having problems getting my M37 registered in Texas

Post by kjoplin »

I just purchased a 1962 M-37 and don't know which number to use as the vin number for the Title. I have Stock number MFR Ser # and an existing painted hood #. Which do I use? The painted hood number is different from the Mfg #.
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: having problems getting my M37 registered in Texas

Post by just me »

Use the VIN on the left frame rail ahead of the steering box.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
mchapin

Post by mchapin »

Had a few problems titling mine also. Use the frame number as mentioned. If you register it for the road you can use the USA numbers on the hood as your license number replacing the license plates. If you end up having to get a bonded title, make sure they charge the sales tax on the purchase price, not on the bonded title value. In my case the purchase price was considerably less than the bonded value. Which saved a little on the sales tax. Most local tax offices not not know this and will tax you on the bond value. Have them call the comptroller office in Austin. Good luck.
PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Post by PoW »

The 'VIN', or more correctly, the Dodge factory serial number is proper for DMV data.

The hood number never matches, and can change over the years in use depending on what organization had it. Pick one you like if the original is missing.

PoW
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

When I bought mine the Gov't receipt had everything right- except the manufacturer- said it was a "chevrolet". Luckily I had a worker at the title office who knew better and got it titled as a "Dodge".
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921