Ex Air Force M37 Crane

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

StuartKm

Ex Air Force M37 Crane

Post by StuartKm »

Hello Everyone

I am currently researching an ex Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) M37 Recovery Crane and I was hoping experts on this forum may be able to help me out.

The vehicle in question was apparently used by the RAAF in Japan during the Korean War. The RAAF utilized Japanese airfields as bases for their aircraft during the conflict. This M37 was returned to Australia and eventually ended up in a yard as shown in the accompanying photos.

This M37 has a 360 degree slewing crane fitted to the back. The crane had extendable support legs to each side but these have been cut off. It was painted 'air force yellow' during it's time in service.

I am seeking out any photographs or illustrations that show this crane whilst in service. Also any workshop manuals for this crane variant. Any additional service history or use by other countries would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart
Attachments
007.JPG
007.JPG (243.2 KiB) Viewed 893 times
IMG_0711.jpg
IMG_0711.jpg (255.38 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Last edited by StuartKm on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cal_Gary

Re: Ex Air Force M37 Crane

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hello Stuart,
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us!

I'm not familiar with that crane set-up; nor do I recall seeing it in my twin set of David Doyle's Dodge history books. Perhaps that's an undocumented field mod? Perhaps some of our other members will weigh in.
Thanks for joining us!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Ex Air Force M37 Crane

Post by m-37Bruce »

In all of my short span of M Series exposure, I have not come into this, guessing its a "Field Modification"? Tony Eagling; aka, Monkey Man might be able to shed some light, as he is from the land down under?
Monkey Man, you got your ears on?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA