Paper airplanes as a hobby?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

refit1701
1SG
1SG

Paper airplanes as a hobby?

Post by refit1701 »

At the rate we are headed, the MV hobby will die on the vine here in a couple of years. Some say it is on life support now unless fuel comes down in price.

This reminds me of stamp collecting, which I did when I was younger. Stamp prices are rediculous now and have been for years, driving most kids out of the hobby.

Maybe we can all get together and fold paper airplanes for fun? That is, until they start making paper out of oil....

:x
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Or at best we could drive them once a year or have a great static display. I am in the home stretch of my restoration and sure the thought of $5 gal fuel is depressing. I currently have a daily 60 mile round trip commute. However it is not all big oils fault. Frankly, having been in several US refineries over the years I am amazed they can function as well given the cost of labor, MRO, and EPA restrictions. Everbody talks about their profit but nobody ever tells you a refineries operating costs. They are forced to buy Arab oil (Saudi Princes have gold bath fixtures on their private jets, EXXON CEO's do not)and oil from South American dictators at high cost . We Americans are too stupid to drill here as our continent lies on the some of the largest oil reserves on the planet. China has several rigs off the coast of Cuba.
We are more concered with apeasing leftist Enviro -weenies who care more about the Hairy Chested Nut Scratcher having a place to nest than our national security. If we announced today that we were going to build 2000 oil rigs in Texas, the Gulf, and Alaska, OPEC would have a siezure. Oh wait, no they wouldn't because they realize our own laws make the building of new domestic refineries to deal with that crude impossible. But hey, lets satisfy Greenpeace, that charlatan Al Gore, and the UN as our first priority. Locally here in Ohio a local rubber company did not build a plant in our town that would have employed 500 because the retention pond in the industrial park did not meet EPA specs for their facility. Luckly they moved to the next county and not China or India. As usual, we supply the rope to hang ourselves :x
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Re: Paper airplanes as a hobby?

Post by Lifer »

refit1701 wrote:Maybe we can all get together and fold paper airplanes for fun? That is, until they start making paper out of oil....:x
I'm afraid that activity is out of the question, too. Making paper airplanes was always "discouraged" in school because it was deemed to be a waste of valuable study time. With the passage of the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), however, it has been banned entirely. Too many kids were getting paper cuts on their fingers. ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Oil.....

Post by Nickathome »

Well, I'm not shedding a tear because some oil barron doesn't have "Gold Fixtures" in his private jet. Maybe he doesn't but he's surely living better than we are, and I bet he tosses all of his gas purchases on the company card!!!!

The American public needs to consider what's more important; saving some worthless species of snail darter fish, or some tick, that won't mean a hill of beans to the world should it go extinct, or the ability to go someplace that doesn't require using your feet!!! We had better get on the stick and start drilling and tell those Greenpeace tree huggers to go scratch, or we'll all be turning to Mad Maxx to bail us out of this deep $hit we're getting into!

Me, I'm all for drillling! Whatever it takes to bring gas back to under $2.00 a gallon again.
m35gibson
PFC
PFC

Post by m35gibson »

hello all,
well every year i say the same thing,,, i wont make it to aberdeen this year,,,, well, i will probably make it next year,, just without the duece.
215.00, one way i must be f----n crazy :shock: , never again,
i will be sleeping in the pickup next year, it might not be green,,
but it gets better milage then the duece
kevin gibson
if it aint broke, fix it till it is.