strange bolt steering box

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

strange bolt steering box

Post by NAM VET »

Happy Days are Here Again! After three months of having my M 42 a hundred miles away down in Columbia, SC at my son's place, my knee replacement is finally rehabilitated enough to let me drive my truck once again. So yesterday, had it flabedded back to my home in Rock Hill, SC, just south of Charlotte. Found the top, a fiberglass one, is about two inches too tall to let me pull it into my garage, so parked it just outside, and today was warm enough to let me finally get to my restoration project. Replaced a weeping fuel one in the engine compartment, and using the suggestion of a member here, used Fuel Injection hose, with a large Wix fuel filter, and double clamped it with the appropriate fuel injection clamps.

Then on to my next project, which is try to tighten up the steering box just a little, so looked down to the flash shield cut out, where the adjustment screw is, to see if I can gret to it without taking off the splash shield. But instead of a screw there is just this big bolt there, I can feel that there is no screw in the bolt head, it is big, perhaps a 3/4 inch bolt head. I have studied my TM's, and see no mention or picture of this bolt. Anybody have any experience with this bolt? Here is picture of my box, and then a picture of the bolt head, it is the shiny bolt head right at the end of the generator. There isn't any screw I can feel here.

[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Black Ops
PFC
PFC

Re: strange bolt steering box

Post by Black Ops »

That should be a nut that you remove to get to the adjusting screw.
1952 m37
1956 R2 Crash Truck
1953 m101
1958 xm389
j mccormick
CPL
CPL

Post by j mccormick »

The adjusting screw is under the hood facing the left side of the engine. If the screw is tightened too far inside the locknut the steering gear is badly worn.

Joe
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Once you remove the cap nut (the "big bolt" from your post), here's what you'll find (from TM9-8031-2):

If you don't already have the three basic manuals (Parts ORD 9 SNL G-741; Power Train, Body & Frame TM9-8031-2; and Operation & Organizational Maintenance TM9-8030) these will be invaluable as you work on your truck. Here's more info on manuals: http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... als#p61509

TM9-8031-2 will have the complete procedure on how to disassemble, rebuild, reassemble, and adjust the Gemmer B-60 steering box in your truck.

Lots of other manuals for special applications such as carburetors, accessories, etc., some of which can be found under the "Tech Manuals" link at the top of this page.
Last edited by Elwood on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

don't adjust the box you will just wear out the worm and sector. most steering play is from worn out sector shaft bushing and worn out idler arm bushing. less than $20 in parts and many many hours of servicing.
.............................. use it ...............
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

I agree with RMS. find all slop in other places first and remedy if there is any
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

above are good suggestions, I don't have much play in the steering wheel when the truck is just sitting, maybe 15 degrees of steering wheel turn. But noted yesterday, out driving that the "play" increases quite a bit more when the truck is rolling suggesting my "play" is largely in other components. I am probably going to have someone with more experience than I fix that. And I do have the paper manuals for the truck, makes for good evening reading. I have quickly gotten used to the "play", no need to keep moving the steering wheel to go straight, just a steady hand and it is pretty true. But it is something I want to get back to OEM specifications.

Went to get a haircut down town yesterday, and found my truck is about impossible to parallel park. Gave up on that exercise.

thanks,

NAM VET
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

your arms will be in great shape f you keep at the parallel routine. ;/) M37 steer much easier than the WCs and PWs. if you keep the air in tires up at 40 plus they steer a bit easier. drive every day for 2 weeks and it all gets easier to drive.