M37B3 Project

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

PoW
SSGT
SSGT

Re: M37B3 Project

Post by PoW »

I usually have really good luck with RAPCO paints. The best 24087 enamel on the market.

Doing a set of 5-ton wheels in that 383 green looked good at first, but 6 months down the road they faded to powder. Reducer used was Xylene (recommended).

PoW
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Finally getting back into the garage so I hope to post some pics soon. Nothing major just finishing up the front axle rebuild before moving onto the next thing on the very very long list. Stay toon
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Okay folks here's the latest.
Finally have gotten some time to spend in the garage again. I wanted to get back to it sooner, but just one thing after another has kept me busy doing other things. So, last fall I had rebuilt the rear axle with new inner and outer bearings, new seals and did a rear disk break conversion as was mentioned previous. I had also started on the front axle and had gotten the drivers side done with new inner and outer bearings, new u-joint, new upper and lower ball joints, new rotor, new caliper and new pads. I also installed the new drag link. Winter hit and it sat till just this past two weeks where I rebuilt the passengers side again with new bearings, u-joint, seals, ball joints and brake components. I also got new seals and gaskets on the differential as well as rebuilt the tie rod with new ends. I've even set the toe-in to a rough mark. Once truck is completely built and driving I will have it aligned properly, but per the TM for an M880 which the axles are out of the toe-in is +- 1/8 inch. Here are some pics for you.
Passenger side Image
Drivers side Image
Completed front end Image
P-side complete Image
D-side complete Image

Next on my list is fuel system and bake lines. My tank is full of rust and scale. My options are go to Gas Tank Renu and have it rebuilt for 300-400 bucks, Spend 120 and try POR-15 gas tank refurbish stuff myself, or spend about the same amount on a new S-10 blazer tank or mid 80's Ford Bronco tank and then try to figure out how to make the GI sender work etc. Any thoughts you all might have are welcomed.
greeno
SGT
SGT

Post by greeno »

Tank Renu was worth the money in my experience so far.
M37
YEAR: 1954
John Mc
SSGT
SSGT

Post by John Mc »

I've heard the full size ford van tanks are a good fit and larger (22 gallons?) than the S10 tanks (18 gallons?). There have been some posts on it in Steel Soldiers and on the Dodge M37/M43 Facebook group.
1951 M37 "Brutus" w/Winch and 251 engine
Argie1978
SGT
SGT

Post by Argie1978 »

Rebuilding the tank can be expensive (wasn't aware until I received the cost estimation from several places :mrgreen: ). I think that's why a lot of folks get a S10 tank as it will fit flawlessly (needs neck extension tho). The old Econoline is worth to try, I believe it's the same as the Bronco.
As usual, depends on your budget and if you have the time to dedicate.
Sebastian
(sorry, I only speak in METRIC)
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Haven had much time to get anything major done on the truck. Been doing little things. I've also been doing little things that are part of bigger things but haven't gotten all the little things together to post about the big things...if that makes any sense. Anyway, I wanted to post a little update. I got the running boards blasted, primed and painter along with the brackets that bolt to frame that the bed bolts to. I also designed and mounted a small bracket on each side for the rear flexible brake hoses to mount to. This is very similar to how the rear brake hoses mount on my 2018 Ram 1500. Next projects will be the brake lines and the front brake hoses. Still giving that some thought. Here two pics for you all. The gas tank is just resting there on the frame until for lack of anywhere else to put it. I will also be working on that soon.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

I finally have some time to post and update. Now that the warm weather has flown south for the winter the truck is going to be tucked away in the garage. I may if we get any mild days go out and tinker here and there, but the majority of my work especially painting is done till next spring.

I got the brake lines run on the frame. I used 3/16 copper nickel brake line. It’s a modern line that is easy to bend and holds up to the weather. I started with picture wire that I ran as I wanted the line to run. This gave me a template to follow.
I then cut the line to length and bent them up and installed on the frame.
I have since put rubber grommets around the line where they go through the frame to protect them from rubbing against the frame.

I also installed a new fuel tank, but I'm going to put that in a different post so that it might help others. Here is the post. http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?t=9886
Stay tuned for more fun as it comes.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Nice work Joe, don't give up!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500