Transfer case shifter rail and set screw

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

oros35
PVT
PVT

Transfer case shifter rail and set screw

Post by oros35 »

So I think I figured out the problem with my truck not shifting from high to low.

I'm pretty sure that when my transfer case was rebuilt in 1972 (per the tag on it) the high/low shifter rail was installed upside down (indents for the detent ball facing down) and the set screw on the fork was never installed. So it was just by dumb luck and a little friction that it would ever shift between high and low. My guess is it was never put into low range until I got it and had to try it out. That's where things got out of alignment.

So I'm attempting to fix this with the case in the truck. I took off the parking brake housing to access the shift fork. No set screw present. Searched the inside of the case to the best of my ability and no sign of the set screw or any remnants of tie wire. I went to the hardware store and bought a set screw that fit the threads.

Going to install the shift fork and notice the indents on the shift rail are opposite the ball. In an attempt to correct that, the shifter rail has become stuck. ** I assume the part where the set screw goes also has an indent and the ball is now stuck holding the shift rail from coming out. I removed the cap and spring, but can't get the ball out. Tried several magnets with no luck. My next step is hope someone here has a brilliant idea!!! or drop the case so I can flip it over and shake the ball out.

So the shift rail and set screw.... are they anything special? I was thinking just a flat set screw but guess it could be a conical point that mates into the shaft??? Anyone help with pictures of these parts? And if they are something special, where to get them?

This simple task of tightening the set screw has turned into way more effort that I had planned on!!!
Cal_Gary

Re: Transfer case shifter rail and set screw

Post by Cal_Gary »

I'll throw a dart on this, as I just went through the stuck ball vs shaft on my transmission top cover-I was able to rotate the shaft just enough to free the ball sufficiently to then move the shaft. I don't know if the same theory would apply to your t-case-perhaps Andy (ASHYERS) can weigh in since he's just torn down a transfer case....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Ball's likely hydrauliced in the hole for the set screw. It should come out :)!

TCaseRailBolt.jpg
TCaseRailBolt.jpg (137.45 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
TCaseRailBoltIn.jpg
TCaseRailBoltIn.jpg (133.36 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
oros35
PVT
PVT

Post by oros35 »

Wow that is perfect! Your the best!
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Glad to help!

This may be of use when you're trying to figure out how much bubble gum you'll need to use to stick to that sucker. Good luck!

Andy
BallRail.JPG
BallRail.JPG (71.42 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

My Man Andy throwing a bubble gum fix out there! :)
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
oros35
PVT
PVT

Post by oros35 »

Dang, why such a perfect fit!!!??? That picture is exactly what I'm dealing with. I tried and tried to get it out without removing the T-case. I've given up and started to remove it. Got everything loose but one mount bolt that's stuck. That's when I dropped the wrench and gave myself a fat lip....... So gave up for the evening. Gonna try to get back to it one evening this week.

My next plan is to get it on the bench and try to blow it out with air, or literally go the bubble gum on a stick route! (maybe a little better than bubble gum but same idea!)
oros35
PVT
PVT

Post by oros35 »

So finally got this fixed!!

That dang ball was stubborn! After many hours messing with it, gravity finally won. I tried everything to pull it out, no luck. Just letting it sit upside down didn't get it either. I was resorting to drilling it out (which I think would be pretty well impossible) I was messing around in there with a drill bit and noticed that the ball was spinning, so it was loose, just hydro locked in place.

I soaked it in some brake clean, to try to break the oil up, that alone wasn't enough. I had to work the ball around to get some of the brake clean in it. I still couldn't pull it out. I flipped it upside down and tried to pull with the assist of gravity, still no luck.

So I was sitting there in defeat...... and "TINK" the dang thing hits the ground!! Just took a while to get the suction broke!

So while I had it out, I gave it some new seals, and put everything back together. Took it for a spin and seems everything is good now! Thanks for your help!
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Thanks for the chuckle.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Of course, now it is my turn to do my transfer case. It has been leaking badly since I got the truck. Was originally going to try and do a reseal in position but after reading everybody elses issues, decided to take it out and go through it completely. Glad I did as unless you have a lift, I don't think the job could be done in position.
The good news for me is I found out why it leaked as soon as it was removed from the truck. A PO had replaced the vent with a pipe plug. It would get hot and force the oil out from the pressure. Also, I am lucky as the inside is spotless and the gears and bearings are in excellent shape. So it really will just be a reseal and regasket.
The only tricky part of disassembly has been getting the safety wire off the fork bolts and getting a wrench on the 4WD fork bolt to loosen it. That mother was TIGHT! The only bloodletting so far in the project. I try mightily to NOT restore this truck and to leave the patina on everything, but came in today to find my brother had run the case through the hot tank and cleaned it. So, now I guess I'll just have to clean and paint the whole assembly. (Well, at least one thing on the truck won't be old and crusty)
Will start assembly over the weekend. Am NOT looking forward to safety wiring those shift forks! My fat ham fists just don't do that in close, blind, fiddly work joyfully. But, I will make sure the rails go in right side up!
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
oros35
PVT
PVT

Post by oros35 »

I just used Loctite. Don't know if I will regret that, but the only screw I could find was an Allen head. And didn't have a hole drilled for wire, and I didn't attempt to drill one as it was a pretty hard metal.

I did toss the set screw on my lathe and turned the tapered end so it fit nice.

I'm banking on the modern Loctite will be just as good as tie wire. At least for the limited miles this thing will probably see. And I made sure to get it good and snug.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

oros35 wrote:I just used Loctite. Don't know if I will regret that, but the only screw I could find was an Allen head. And didn't have a hole drilled for wire, and I didn't attempt to drill one as it was a pretty hard metal.

I did toss the set screw on my lathe and turned the tapered end so it fit nice.

I'm banking on the modern Loctite will be just as good as tie wire. At least for the limited miles this thing will probably see. And I made sure to get it good and snug.
I'd get the right screw and use that tie wire, McMaster - Carr has them, or they used too. My reason, I've seen gear teeth eaten by a set screw floating around, it isn't pretty but will take a PRETTY penny's worth of parts to repair the end result.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com