Truck dies when hot and then runs later

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Truck dies when hot and then runs later

Post by NAM VET »

When I took the cap off of my Military distributor as part of my rebuild, my flat spring on top of the rotor was also broken, although since the truck was running, i guess the graphite nib on the top of the cap was making sufficient contact for it to distribute the spark. Long ago, when i frequently tuned my English sports cars and my VW, I never had such a problem. My pistons and rings and bearings and such are coming tomorrow, so the machine ship can begin to bore this and that, balance things, and get it back to me for my own wrenching. Completed the wiring for my Hella horn today, I did it the easy way, running the wires with a fuse to a dash mounted hold-up-on toggle switch. Then drained and refilled the transfer case and both diffs, using Redline 75-90 synthetic, is appropriate for hypoid gears. No nuts and bolts and gears drained out via the drain plugs.

I would prefer to run my horn wires from the steering wheel button down the shaft, but first I have to hear how difficult it is to pull off the button. I have all new OEM parts for the proper horn wiring.

Any advice on pulling off the horn button? I have read prior posts on this forum about doing it.

all the best....

NV

At first in Desert Storm, when the medical choppers would bring in our patients, we had a big problem with sand blown up by rotors, bad for everybody, and especially the Blackhawk engines. So, we promptly had a solution......

[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]

like soaking our heli-pad with diesel fuel, no EPA in the desert.
[URL=http://s663.photobucket.com/user/h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

I have replaced cracked caps on vws, Mercedes, Asian and British cars. work on enough of them professionally and you see it all after a while. its rare on any vehicle but its always a possibility. my favorite cap was a clear one with brass contacts I had on a 409 powered hot rod. you could see the spark perfectly. It was great.
mike_m
PVT
PVT

Post by mike_m »

Follow up: Old post of mine but wanted to post my solution for future. My issue turned out to be a bad battery cable to the starter. It was probably the original one and the outer insulational was cracked and brittle. I suspect it must have been arcing against the bell housing and causing the truck to suddenly shut off. It wasn't until it had a hard short and melted the battery cable ends that caused me to replace the cable. Once I replaced the cable my issue went away. Never would I have suspected this would be the root cause, but this was the only thing I replaced all has been good

Thanks

MikeM
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Thanks for providing closure, Mike!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500