starting up a truck that hasnt been run for years

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

MikeL

starting up a truck that hasnt been run for years

Post by MikeL »

I have and m37 that hasnt run since I parked it 8 years ago. It was having ignition problems when I parked it and then family life got in the way. I now have more time to get her going. Ive changed the fluids, lubed, put in fresh gas and new batteries. I was told by an old timer to pull the spark plugs and then crank the engine a bit for lubrication before trying to start. Any other suggestions to do before trying to start an engine thats been sitting a few years? Thanks.
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: starting up a truck that hasnt been run for years

Post by just me »

Put a little oil in all the cylinders and bar it over by hand first. Any resistance stop and determine the trouble before doing damage.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

When I bought my truck, it was in a fire department and had not run for several years. They took pretty good care of it and kept it in a heated garage, but they had pulled the batteries to put in the HUMVEE which replaced the M37. I changed the oil and antifreeze, bought two new batteries, and put a squirt in each cylinder and let it sit a bit. I cranked it over (didn't know about the hand crank or that it would turn over by hand with no spark plugs in it), and it sputtered and ran a bit. Fortunately no valves got stuck. It needed some carb and distributor work (thanks M-series rebuild)
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

just me wrote:Put a little oil in all the cylinders and bar it over by hand first. Any resistance stop and determine the trouble before doing damage.

Good call. At least TRY to turn the engine over by hand before using the starter.
I don't know how many times I've SEEN and read about people trying to start old
vehicles that have sat idle for years and they do NO pre-start checks. No oil and
filter change, no radiator fluid and use the rotten old fuel in the tank.

We are all anxious to "hear it run", but why not take a few minutes to check the basics.
Change oil and filter, provide a source for new gasoline, pull the plugs and squirt in
some Marvel Mystery Oil. Let it sit a spell and turn over the motor by hand cranking.
Wouldn't hurt to strain the old oil with a paint strainer to see what kind of metal,
if any, is in the pan and oil filter.

JB
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

dont forget the spark plugs are above the valves not the pistons. a small hose or piece of wire can be used to direct the flow to the rings. I would use ATF for this operation.
.............................. use it ...............
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

My all-time favorite oil for pouring into cylinders is marvel mystery oil. I've had three motors now that we're locked up from someone leaving them sit with no spark plugs. Pour some marvel mystery in, let sit overnight, and it's like the engine was never stuck. It flows and penetrates really well, but it also smells great :)
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery