speedo cable puking oil at speedometer

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

point
PVT
PVT

speedo cable puking oil at speedometer

Post by point »

Now that's a new one to me. Went for a drive today and after I got home, I saw oil on the floor. It was coming out of the speedo cable. I imagine there is a vent problem. I found the breather in the manual diagram and when I feel around for it, All I feel is a small four sided screw or plug of some sort. Any suggestions?
Thanks
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: speedo cable puking oil at speedometer

Post by RMS »

how much lube did you put in the cable housing ? :lol:

now some of the breather caps are flat on four sides but it should not be a plug. if you need a breather I have many but if you have a barbed fitting, run a new line up to the air cleaner elbow. then you can get your feet wet and not have to change the tcase oil :mrgreen:
.............................. use it ...............
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

point wrote:Now that's a new one to me. Went for a drive today and after I got home, I saw oil on the floor. It was coming out of the speedo cable. I imagine there is a vent problem. I found the breather in the manual diagram and when I feel around for it, All I feel is a small four sided screw or plug of some sort. Any suggestions?
Thanks
What kind of oil? Cable lube or transfer case lube?

When you say that you felt a small four sided screw, were you feeling around on top of the brake output bearing retainer housing on the back of the transfer case? If so, sounds like someone might have replaced the transfer case breather with a square-head pipe plug.

If there's a vent problem with your transfer case (and you suspect that the pressure is pushing transfer lube up the speedo cable), then you might also be missing the o-ring that is supposed to seal the speedo cable from the transfer case. Perhaps this will help: http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... eedo+cable
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
point
PVT
PVT

Post by point »

Thanks guys. I don't believe I have the O ring seal. I am going to have to pop out the vent and see what it is. They sure hid it nicely' I didn't want to pull it till I was sure that it wasn't something else.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

The o-ring should be at the base of the speedo pinion "nut", where it screws into the brake output bearing retainer housing on the back of the transfer case. It fits into the counterbore in the base of the "nut", and seals the shaft of the speedo pinion.

Item "L" in this illustration from the ORD 9 SNL G-741 parts catalog is the o-ring. Item "J" is the transfer case breather vent.

“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
point
PVT
PVT

Post by point »

Hi guys. Turns out that the vent had been replaced with a plug. My best buddy RMS had a spare vent so I changed that out. Hopefully that does the trick.